New to swimming...want to start off right!

Former Member
Former Member
Hi everyone! I am a runner who has discovered how much I like swimming! Right now, I am an on-again, off-again swimmer, only doing laps occasionally. Not too long ago my goal was to swim a mile non-stop, so I printed off Ruth Kazez "How to swim a mile in 6 weeks" (told ya I am a noob!). I am able to do that in around 30 minutes, which the lifeguard at the Y said wasn't a bad time, especially for a beginner (I'm happy about that, considering the first time I tried to swim, I was out of breath after 1 lap!). Anyway, as I said I enjoy swimming so much and I now want to get serious about it and perhaps even compete in some meets at some point down the road. A little more about me: I am a 45 yo female and I would consider myself pretty fit. In addition to running I do a pretty intense spin class at my gym a couple of days/week as well as a kettlebell, dumbbell, ropes circuit-style class 3-4 days/week. Truthfully, I don't enjoy running very much anymore (I have a history of running-related injuries, which is why I started swimming in the first place) and would gladly spend more time in the pool than I do on the road! As the title of my thread indicates, I don't really know how to get started. Everything I've read about new swimmers stresses how important a couple of lessons are. (I only swim freestyle - is that also called front crawl? - since I don't know how to swim any other stroke). Unfortunately we don't have a master's swim group in my city, so I was thinking once I learn proper form, I will do a little more research and figure out some drills, etc. Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • Those recommending lessons are right. Instant feedback about proper and improper technique is very helpful. If that is not possible, there are so many helpful postings online, through USMS, through goswim.tv, through swimsmooth.org (maybe a different .something) just to name a few. Using available references from online sources, you will be able to compare video of yourself, both above and below water. I believe you should not ignore the other strokes entirely, as there are so many small technique points that cross stroke lines, like posture, head position, hands, elbows and rotation. Perhaps you could travel to a USMS clinic, or to another location that specializes in stroke technique and video feedback like SwimLabs in Colorado. There is a short reference to SwimLabs in an article about its founder on page 9 of the Sept/Oct USMS Swimmer magazine. This isn't a plug for the company, but I swam with the founder in college, and it is true, he is faster now than then! Try to get the proper technique down early, and use video, both of you and other good swimmers. Copy those good swimmers! Most importantly, have fun.:agree:
  • I've advised a few friends and other beginners who wanted to start swimming or improve to invest in a pair of swim fins and a pull buoy. Generally the biggest problem adult beginners have is that their rear end pulls them down and ther feet sink. The result is spending lots of energy trying to keep your head up. You get really tired very quickly fighting to stay on top. The pull buoy is a foam device shaped like a dumb bell and when you squeeze the dumb bell between you legs and swim without kickiing, it floats your rear and allows you to work on your stroke without fighting to stay up. Most beginners can't kick well or hard enough to float their rear and avoid being pulled down, so the buoy is a great aid to use getting started. The swim fins have the same impact in that they allow very little kick to propel you forward and to keep you on top of the water and not fighting to stay up. You can then work on your kick separatelyu using a kick board or just hanging onto the pool wall, extending your feet, and kicking. Good stroke mechanics and breathing will take time and best to get someone who knows what they arer looking for to peridoically stand on the pool deck, watch your stroke, and advise. A swim coach or older age group swimmer might be able to give you enough pointers in 10-30 min. to work on for a few weeks and then try/ask again. The swimi books, internet and video avaialble today are great to help visualize and provide basic drills too. Good luck and enjoy
  • Joycewh, You have some good advice here. Breaking down the stroke by using drills is very helpful. I have been coaching for several years. you can find a lot of drill on line. One of my favorites is high elbow hesitation. When your arm is recovering over the water you pause when your upper arm is about 90 degrees to your body. When at this point try to make sure the in water arm is out in front of you and just beginning the catch. Another thing to look out for in most new swimmers is whether on not you are kicking while you are breathing. Most folks new to swimming stop kicking while breathing. NOT GOOD! I find that runners lack ankle flexibility and their kick is detrimental to their stroke which means kicking and stretching the top of the foot towards the floor while in a supine position is key. Hopefully, you are not one of these people.