Independence Day challenge

Here in the DVLMSC we area a little thin on meets this time of year. I imagine that this is true in many other places as well. Therefore, for fun, and to help sustain the motivation to train, I set forth this Independence Day challenge: Swim an 800 IM, time yourself and report your result here. To kick off this challenge, (and since I know that someone would call my bluff on this if I didn’t do it myself) I did my 800 IM today (SCY) and swam it in 11:50. Splits were: 2:55 (fly in 2:55) 5:44 (back in 2:49) 8:13 (*** in 3:29) 11:50 (free in 2:37) (Next stop, :bed:) To compare swimmers of different ages and genders, compute your rating as follows: 1) Go to the Australian Masters Swimming records and find the record for the SCM 800 IM for your age group and gender. www.portal.aussi.org.au/.../records.php For example, for my age group, M45-49, the record is 10:53.34, held by someone named Mark Smedley. (What a great name for an IMer!) 2) Convert the Australian SCM record to SCY with the swimming world time converter. www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../conversions.asp (Just use the 400 IM conversion. Hey, this is for fun, we don’t have to be precise here.) For example, Mr. Smedley’s time converts to 9:45.39 SCY. 3) Convert both your time and the record time to a total number of seconds, and take the ratio of the record time to your time. For example, Mr. Smedley’s record time is 585s and my time was 710s, so my rating is 585/710 = 0.82. In other words my speed is 82% of that of the record swim for my age group and gender. 4) If you swim it SCM you won’t have to convert. If you swim it LCM, you can use the Austrailian LCM record and you will also not need to convert. Anyone who completes this challenge gets a :banana: . The highest overall rating gets a :bow: . If you complete this challenge LCM, you are :weightlifter: . So are there any takers? tjrpatt, That Guy, pwb, jaadams1, gdanner, couldbebetterfly? I know that there are some distance fly/IM types out there just itching to do this, so find a pool and celebrate the holiday! Any non-US swimmers, here is your chance to show that your motherland outshines the ‘States.
  • :cake: Happy Birthday US of A. Quite the experiment in government and as original as each USMS swimmer is unique! Thank you for the workout idea, Gigi! :applaud: We will try to use the "cool of the pool" and the fins to see if we can get anyone to finish the whole thing in SCY anytime this week! Jen
  • My buddy and I did something similar a few years ago getting ready for the Iron Man pentathalon. 400 IM followed by 200 fly/200 back/200 ***/200 free.
  • You guys are all animals. We have to do a 600 reverse IM as part of warm-up almost every other day and I totally hate it. My take on this would be (SCY of course!) 8 x 25 fly w/Zoomers on :30 4 x 50 back w/or w/out zoomers on :50 2 x 100 *** on 1:45is 200 free build to sprint Ta Da! 800 IM! In reality however, I will be swimming with the USAS team I train with, and practice is 7:30-10:30am on the 4th - we should get in a a good 8000 or more - I hope to finish the practice and not wimp out at the two hour mark. Then nappy time. No fireworks until it gets dark anyway!
  • I should've expected it...pools closed tomorrow for some holiday! I took my son for lessons tonight and saw the flyer on the door at the YMCA. :( I also called the outdoor city pool and they're closed as well. Oh well, I guess I'm tapering to 2 swims this week prior to my 1500 LCM in the USA meet on Sunday. :) Good thing is that I can see what That Guy posts in the 1500 at Omaha, and use it as a goal time. :bolt:
  • I should've expected it...pools closed tomorrow for some holiday! I took my son for lessons tonight and saw the flyer on the door at the YMCA. :( I also called the outdoor city pool and they're closed as well. Oh well, I guess I'm tapering to 2 swims this week prior to my 1500 LCM in the USA meet on Sunday. :) Good thing is that I can see what That Guy posts in the 1500 at Omaha, and use it as a goal time. :bolt: You have to swim it the same way I do then. U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Olympic Trials USA Swimming
  • You guys are all animals. That gave me an idea. In keeping with the theme of this thread, I did this today SCY: Double Brute Squad 5,000 500 warmup 1 x 800 IM 1 x 400 fly 1 x 3300 free 5,000 Total Plus: It took under 90 minutes to do it. Minus: It was nasty. Splits 800 IM: 3:11 + 3:02 + 3:23 + 2:32 = 12:08 (then 3:00 rest) 400 fly: 3:31 + 3:40 = 7:11 (then 3:00 rest) 3300 free: 24:15 + 23:55 = 48:10 (1:27.5 per 100) I took it easy the whole way, figuring the biggest problem was to avoid cramping up at the end of the 3300. On the one hand, there may be no training purpose to this, in which case it's all garbage yardage. On the other hand, it pushes some limits I'm not used to pushing, so maybe there's some virtue in it. I dunno. One thing for sure, I'm not going to do it again anytime soon. Wake me up next year ... :bed:
  • Double Brute Squad Good grief! I expect this to show up in pwb's Animal Lane any day now. :eek:
  • My buddy and I did something similar a few years ago getting ready for the Iron Man pentathalon. 400 IM followed by 200 fly/200 back/200 ***/200 free. I have a main set that I call "the pentathalon workout" that I've done a few times: 200 fly/3:00, 200 bk/3:00, 200 br/4:00, 200 fr/3:00, 400 IM/7:00, 100 fly/1:30, 100 bk/1:30, 100 br/2:00, 100 fr/1:30, 200 IM/4:00, 50 fly/:50, 50 bk/:50, 50 br/:50, 50 fr/:50, 100 IM/2:00, Yes, the 200 & 100 br intervals are longer to accomodate my slow br. Yes, the IM intervals are longer, which effectively gives a "Masters break" between rounds.
  • Double Brute Squad You have earned 10 Hairy Chest Points. Good Job :applaud::applaud::applaud:
  • You have earned 10 Hairy Chest Points. Good Job :applaud::applaud::applaud: Where's the Tarzan emo? We need a chest-pounding, Tarzan-yodeling, Tarzan emo. Ok, this ... :weightlifter: