Independence Day challenge

Here in the DVLMSC we area a little thin on meets this time of year. I imagine that this is true in many other places as well. Therefore, for fun, and to help sustain the motivation to train, I set forth this Independence Day challenge: Swim an 800 IM, time yourself and report your result here. To kick off this challenge, (and since I know that someone would call my bluff on this if I didn’t do it myself) I did my 800 IM today (SCY) and swam it in 11:50. Splits were: 2:55 (fly in 2:55) 5:44 (back in 2:49) 8:13 (*** in 3:29) 11:50 (free in 2:37) (Next stop, :bed:) To compare swimmers of different ages and genders, compute your rating as follows: 1) Go to the Australian Masters Swimming records and find the record for the SCM 800 IM for your age group and gender. www.portal.aussi.org.au/.../records.php For example, for my age group, M45-49, the record is 10:53.34, held by someone named Mark Smedley. (What a great name for an IMer!) 2) Convert the Australian SCM record to SCY with the swimming world time converter. www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../conversions.asp (Just use the 400 IM conversion. Hey, this is for fun, we don’t have to be precise here.) For example, Mr. Smedley’s time converts to 9:45.39 SCY. 3) Convert both your time and the record time to a total number of seconds, and take the ratio of the record time to your time. For example, Mr. Smedley’s record time is 585s and my time was 710s, so my rating is 585/710 = 0.82. In other words my speed is 82% of that of the record swim for my age group and gender. 4) If you swim it SCM you won’t have to convert. If you swim it LCM, you can use the Austrailian LCM record and you will also not need to convert. Anyone who completes this challenge gets a :banana: . The highest overall rating gets a :bow: . If you complete this challenge LCM, you are :weightlifter: . So are there any takers? tjrpatt, That Guy, pwb, jaadams1, gdanner, couldbebetterfly? I know that there are some distance fly/IM types out there just itching to do this, so find a pool and celebrate the holiday! Any non-US swimmers, here is your chance to show that your motherland outshines the ‘States.
  • So are there any takers? I'll do this on Monday. Thanks for the idea. I had about 4K of my intended 5K SCM workout in mind, so doing this plus a cool-down gets me where I need to be.
  • So are there any takers? tjrpatt, That Guy, pwb, jaadams1, gdanner, couldbebetterfly? I know that there are some distance fly/IM types out there just itching to do this, so find a pool and celebrate the holiday! Any non-US swimmers, here is your chance to show that your motherland outshines the ‘States. I'm tapering for NW Zones next weekend so my answer is "probably not" until after the meet. But... who knows, maybe... :)
  • Lol, I fail at this challenge. 'didn't expect that you would take it up, but you will no doubt want to participate in Jim's "forum 50," if he does that again.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    Lol, I fail at this challenge.
  • If my pre-determined holiday workout gets boring I might try this with my new yellow zoomers LCM. I've never even thought about doing an 800 IM; given enough time I think I could get the job done! :)
  • I'll do the challenge, but I reserve the right to wait until at least mid-September to get back into shape after "not swimming" over the summer months. 1-2 times a week just doesn't cut it for me. :) I did do a 1000 Rev. IM YouTube - ‪3-27-11 1000 Rev IM.mp4‬‏ in a meet back in March though. Challenge that one huh?!?!??? I'm sure I could go much faster in the 1000 as well.
  • I'm tapering for NW Zones next weekend so my answer is "probably not" until after the meet. But... who knows, maybe... :) Tapering??? I'm trying to swim "enough" to keep my body in swimming shape so I can complete my events at my USA-S meet the same weekend! The 200 LCM Fly is going to suck for me at the end of Sunday too!!!
  • Yes, that 200 fly precludes me from doing this, too. 75 is about my upper limit, and that is pushing it, unless one-arm fly is permitted. :) Swimming a 200 fly always sounds like a great idea until I actually get to the pool. Then...not so much. :afraid:
  • Tapering??? yeah I'm trying to swim "enough" to keep my body in swimming shape so I can complete my events at my USA-S meet the same weekend! good idea The 200 LCM Fly is going to suck for me at the end of Sunday too!!! i look forward to the youtube video
  • i look forward to the youtube video Some things may just have to be seen "live". :banana: