How to Achieve and Practice Good Swim Form

I have horrible freestyle swim form. And when I'm doing it, I have no idea that is how it really looks.   On dryland I am able to move my arms and hands into the correct "S" shape positions but when I get in the water, it all, apparently, goes to wrong. My arms do not come under my body in that "S" configuration, rather they stay out side beyond my sides.  I do not even realize that I am swimming that way.  Furthermore, even when I am trying to be aware of good form and practice good form, in reality, in the water, for some reason, I am not achieving much of a correction. My typical 100 yd time is 1:45 and I can get it below 1:30 for limited distances.

I am interested in practicing good swim form but I am at a loss as to how to sense when I am out of form and how to correct it. What can I do if anything? Are there dryland things that I can do to help with form? I enjoy swimming and swim 4 to 5 times per week. sometimes even 6 times per week. Maybe I should just forget about it and keep on swimming?

What to do?

Parents
  • You say that you have a horrible freestyle form just because you are or aren’t making an “S” motion during your stroke??? Wether you are or aren’t doesn’t necessarily mean you aren’t swimming efficiently. I mean like mentioned above…making the “S” pattern was once considered ‘the way’ to do it, and now it’s not. Personally, I would just swim and be as efficient as possible. Think about the various aspects of your stroke as you’re swimming and, if need be, correct them. It doesn’t happen overnight. Eventually these things become second nature.

Dan

• You say that you have a horrible freestyle form just because you are or aren’t making an “S” motion during your stroke??? Wether you are or aren’t doesn’t necessarily mean you aren’t swimming efficiently. I mean like mentioned above…making the “S” pattern was once considered ‘the way’ to do it, and now it’s not. Personally, I would just swim and be as efficient as possible. Think about the various aspects of your stroke as you’re swimming and, if need be, correct them. It doesn’t happen overnight. Eventually these things become second nature.

Dan

Children
No Data