What to do until swim meets come back

It looks like there will be no more meets in 2020 and after that is unclear. Pools are opening, but pool time is limited. Right now I am fortunate to be able to swim 3 per week for 45 minutes at a reasonably convenient pool. With limited pool time, and no meets for awhile what is the best use of time? Here are my thoughts and I would be interested in yours. Strength is important, but it can be improved with dry land work. Conditioning is important, but 3 times a week for 45 minutes is likely not enough. Technique is arguably most important and I think I can get sufficient work in that area during my limited pool time. So I am focusing on every drill I know, on DPS, on streamlining, on tempo, and everything else I can think of to improve technique. What do you think and what are you doing?
  • We have had a lot of rain lately. Back home and good air quality.
  • We have had a lot of rain lately. Back home and good air quality. :applaud:
  • I've been doing pretty much the same thing. The one thing I dropped was USRPT, because the repetitive stress on my body is tough. Since meets may be a very long time off in the future, speed is pretty far down on my priority list, whereas injury avoidance is priority #1! I listen to my body during warm-up. If I'm feeling any soreness or pain in an area of my body, I avoid making it worse by concentrating on another stroke or drill. If my shoulders are sore, I concentrate on kicking. If my hip flexor is bothering me, but my shoulders feel good, my focus is more on pull drills. Fortunately, I love all four strokes and IM, so I have lots of options! :banana: P.S. How is your area doing now with the fires? Are you back in your home, or is the air quality still too unbearable?
  • I am doing the occasional USA-S meet. Swam in one back in August, outside SCY. However I could only make one day and one event: the 200 FL. Actually up until last weekend it was the only meet with results logged in the USMS database since March 14. It is now one of only two :/
  • What do you think and what are you doing?In the heart of the pandemic, when everything was shut down, I took up hiking in a more committed fashion. I'd hiked on and off in my life, but never as a primary form of aerobic exercise. Over the summer, I worked my way up to 35-40KM per week, but that's difficult to maintain that volume and layer on enough swimming. With our pools re-opened, my weekly goal is this until the snows come 25KM of hiking = likely over 5 hikes, ranging from 3KM to a little more than 8KM. 15KM of swimming = I'm fortunate that I now have access to two, hour long Masters workouts a week and can find pool time for 3 more hours each week I'm starting to layer on top of that 3-4 bodyweight dryland workouts at home each week, each about 30 minutes long. Think pushups, squats, planks, etc. That should keep me in a good aerobic zone and gives me about 12-13 hours of training time per week. I don't think I need to do any more than this in terms of time or distance, but will just increase the intensity. I think that when the snows hit here, I'll trade out my hiking for rowing during the week and then cross-country skiing on the weekend.
  • I am doing the occasional USA-S meet. Swam in one back in August, outside SCY. However I could only make one day and one event: the 200 FL. Actually up until last weekend it was the only meet with results logged in the USMS database since March 14. It is now one of only two :/ How was the meet run?
  • Allen, forgive the long response but Iâ€Tmll explain as best I can: the Little Rock Racquet Club SCY Pool deck is surrounded by a black fence (about chest high), With three gates to enter from. The Arkansas Dolphins hosted the meet here and barred all spectators (as best they could) from the deck, with meet marshals effectively acting as “bouncers.” The meet information said swimmers would also be barred from the deck except for those swimmers participating in the next four heats of an event. I didnâ€Tmt really see THIS part enforced, as I put my stuff down on a chair in an out of the way part of the deck and was never asked to leave even though I swam the LAST event of the session. All staff (coaches, timers, officials, and clerk of course) wore masks the whole time. The pool deck was closed to all LRRC members who werenâ€Tmt participating in the swim meet (this SEVERELY chafed the aqua aerobics ladies!). Because this was August and the SCY pool was set up for rec swim, the diving board and water slide effectively eliminated three of the eight lanes (2, 7, 8) from competition use (canâ€Tmt put starting blocks in). Therefore the heat sheet had lane assignments 1 through 5, but those actually corresponded to Lane 1 = Lane 1, Lane 3 = 2, 4 = 3, 5 = 4, and 6 = 5. It was confusing, as you can imagine, but also serves for some extra social distancing! Also it played to my advantage. I was assigned “lane 2” in the heat sheet for the 200 FL, which meant I was in lane 3 in the pool with lane 2 the empty unused lane beside me, so less turbulence! again I only attended one session. I didnâ€Tmt hear glowing praise of the meet, but I also didnâ€Tmt hear any harsh criticisms either. Hope this helps explain it! EDIT: also, to further encourage parents NOT to attend to watch their swimmers, the meet was streamed on Facebook live, which I think was a heads up move. There were still parents/spectators there, and a few did find their way onto the deck, but they always had masks on (honestly thatâ€Tms a LRRC rule right now anyways, so if they didnâ€Tmt have masks on the club would kick them out).
  • Please contact me I went my 1st us master swim practice. I loved and I am all in but it the time of practice and can I train on my own and be late to some night practice. I will show but I don’t get work until 7 and they start at 645. My goal is at 43 to join the isl swim team. Like I need to and can do this . Please contact me 248410390. Like I want compation swimming.. Rod Squirrel change the world . I got this