Pools closed - any ideas?

Hey everyone! Hope I’m not posting something that has already been asked, but I didn’t see anything in the forum yet, so... With pools closing left and right, does anyone have any clever ideas of how to keep swimming (or how to keep your sanity if that’s not possible)? I thought of getting a wetsuit and swimming laps in my apartment pool, then they closed that...is anyone opting for open water? Trying to get clever, & at the same wondering if I should just suck it up and deal with the break/be grateful to just be healthy! Thoughts?
  • I never reached for a Corona before the virus. It's just not good beer. Any beer that requires a piece of fruit to make it palatable isn't worth it for me. Dan Ditto. Doing 12 or 18 oz curls. Seriously, though, as I'm on telework for most of every week for the foreseeable future, the wife and I thought, what the heck, let's get a puppy! Not really, but it was serendipitous that our breeder had one available. And 15 months since we had to put down our then 15-year old dog, we were ready. So the wife and I are sharing the house-breaking (constant) trips outside. We got him on Tuesday, and since that day, I've averaged over 12K steps every single day. I've not gained any weight, so I guess that's helping. Open water near me (Walden Pond and the ocean) are still mid 40s, which I'm just not acclimated to. But last year I managed 34 minutes at 51F, so the minute the water gets in the 50s, I'm swimming again.
  • Open water near me (Walden Pond and the ocean) are still mid 40s, which I'm just not acclimated to. But last year I managed 34 minutes at 51F, so the minute the water gets in the 50s, I'm swimming again. Mike...was that with or without wetsuit? Down here in RI, I think the general consensus is that we're going to 'open' the open water much sooner than in past years. Dan
  • Mike...was that with or without wetsuit? Down here in RI, I think the general consensus is that we're going to 'open' the open water much sooner than in past years. Dan Without. If I had a wetsuit I'd go in the mid 40s now...
  • I'm thinking of finding my old tri wet suit when it gets much warmer here as well.
  • Now that it's finally starting to warm up a bit, I'm going to get the kayak out on the lake. Maybe do variations of distance and sprints from day to day. I'm super happy I got a TRX system at the house last year for cross training too.
  • I just ordered 3 wetsuits, one for each of my girls, and one for me. I have several 250-300 meter points I can use to break up swims. Will probably use a paddleboard and get some input from the girls' coach on how to have them do more intense stuff. I'll probably just do some longer distance swims to have some activity. May also do some mountain biking.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Just to vent, it's outrageous that pools are closed and liquor stores open. Chlorinated pool water deactivates the virus, so theoretically pools are one of the safer public spaces. Just have attendants wipe down surfaces like registration desk and sinks in locker area, and enforce distancing in the locker rooms. Plus, exercise does more to improve people's resistance to disease than alcohol. This is stupid.
  • My friend and I ordered wetsuits from Swimoutlet and braved our HOA pool Thursday when it was 70 degrees out and cloudy, and today when it was 60 degrees out, cloudy, and the pool was overfilled with rainwater. I was surprised at how easy it was to find and fit into a wetsuit. I also bought the neoprene socks and cap. The wetsuit really keeps you warm, but exposed skin does not escape the cold. I think the key to getting going is telling your mind to ignore the stinging cold of the water until you warm up and get used to it. Ignore your instincts that are telling you to get the heck out of the water. Its not a simple task, but it really does get better, and before you know it, you're enjoying the swim. I swam for 30 min today. Good luck! I bought a wetsuit, as well. Sleeveless, as that was what seemed to be what the interwebs recommendation was. But I tried the lake. I didn't make it far. My body kind of tried to panic, and I couldn't get my breathing down. How long did it take you to warm up enough to be able to swim, and did you have any issues getting your breathing down? Perhaps the inability to see what another factor with me.
  • I am about to go fence jumping. I apologize
  • Just to vent, it's outrageous that pools are closed and liquor stores open. Chlorinated pool water deactivates the virus, so theoretically pools are one of the safer public spaces. Just have attendants wipe down surfaces like registration desk and sinks in locker area, and enforce distancing in the locker rooms. Plus, exercise does more to improve people's resistance to disease than alcohol. This is stupid. Jon -- Regarding pools...Of course the chemically treated water does kill the virus. But then what about that person you share the lane with? You both happen to be stopped at the same time. You've been doing various speed drills, both breathing very heavily. Probably dispersing some silvia with your huffs and puffs. Maybe there's an emergency at the pool. Now the lifeguard is in danger. Social distancing in the locker room means fewer people can use it...which means there's probably going to be a line of people out in front of the building, or in their cars, waiting their turn to get in. It begins to add up and just makes more sense to close the facility. As far as the liquor stores being opened...I heard someone comment on a radio talk show that the reason governments have allowed them to open is... If they close then there will be lots of alcoholics experiencing DTs and then going to already overcrowded emergency rooms. Dan