Dealing with Strength Training DOMS

Former Member
Former Member
Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness - Friend or Foe? Recently I started introducing strength training 2x per week to my regime. Exercises now consist of pull-ups and ab work, and I plan to start doing other exercises (lower body too). However, my muscles are sore because I work my reps until failure, typically. I should mention that I swim 5x per week. Do you think this soreness will tend to go away once I'm better conditioned with weights? I still plan to do my reps until failure to help build strength. Also, should I just swim hard while still sore? Generally, how do folks typically handle the combination of strength training DOMS and swim practice?
Parents
  • The recommendation seems to be that you get maximum strength effect if you go to failure. Probably true, but it seems to me the closer you get to failure the more likely you will have a problem with form and increased injury risk. I lift until I feel my form may suffer and stop there. YMMV
  • The recommendation seems to be that you get maximum strength effect if you go to failure. Probably true, but it seems to me the closer you get to failure the more likely you will have a problem with form and increased injury risk. I lift until I feel my form may suffer and stop there. YMMV
Children
No Data