Dryland / Strength Training Suggestions

For the current time our Masters schedule is limited to three mornings per week (M-W-F), with occasional Saturdays. Since I'm an early riser and up at 5:00AM anyway, I'm trying to come up with some ideas for some dryland and/or strength training routines for Tuesday and Thursday mornings when I can't swim. I've been doing some stretch cord and bodyweight training on a random basis, but thinking it would help if I had more of a structured plan. I've got a seldom used gym membership, so that's an option for my off days. Running is out due to some chronic knee problems. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
Parents
  • Bands- bands and more bands. Easy to set up and perform on benches. 5-10 dumbbells- circuit with rowing machine, stationary bike. Check out Stealth Board/ it’s an excellent core trainer.

good luck and stick with it

• Bands- bands and more bands. Easy to set up and perform on benches. 5-10 dumbbells- circuit with rowing machine, stationary bike. Check out Stealth Board/ it’s an excellent core trainer.

good luck and stick with it

Children
  • I endorse this comment. I've been reasonably happy with "circuit training" as a supplement to any training program. I typically do a circuit of 6 or 7 exercises and run through the circuit 3 or 4 times for 60-90 minutes in a session. I like a mix of "pre-hab" work with stretch bands, like external shoulder rotations and rows, (swimmers need to take care of their shoulders) static strength exercises like planks, body weight exercises like chin-ups and hanging knee-raisers, and light-weight high-rep work like squats and curls with dumbells. Sometimes I'll mix in work on the stationary bike, but more often I'll do bike work as a stand-alone session. It's easy to put together enough equipment to do this at home so it's a great go-to workout when pressed for time. You can do a lot with a yoga mat, an assortment of dumbbells, Bosu ball, maybe a chin-up bar, etc.  Opinions on this kind of exercise vary widely. Some folks will tell you that this kind of training is worthless, but I feel that it has been generally beneficial for me. Averaged over time I tend to get in 7 sessions per month, so twice a week but I tend to miss about once per month. 

Re the comment above about pull-ups and shoulder problems: I think there is some validity to the concern. Pull-up and chin-ups seem excellent for building upper body and core strength, but extreme caution is advisable. If my form slips at all, or I feel the slightest bit of a tweak in my shoulder, I stop. No pushing to complete failure. It's not worth the risk.