How should I time my weight training in my swim schedule?

Former Member
Former Member
I currently swim 6 sessions per week (Mon Tue Thu Fri morning, Tue evening, Sat afternoon, with 2 rest days (Wednesday and Sunday). Recently I have added weight training into my routine, and I would like to do it for 4 weeks. I have currently put them on evenings Monday, Wednesday and Sunday last week (45 minutes each season), but after my weight training, I feel my muscle stiffness and tightness (especially my pecs) sustained overnight, sometimes affecting my swim training as well. Am I putting my weight training to inappropriate times, or should I sacrifice some of the swim sessions for that? (I am using a progressive overload schedule for my swim training, gradually increasing my training mileage, but that does not include any weight training which I never had before)
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    OK, in my opinion you do not need to be doing doubles. Unless of course you are doing them because you really enjoy swimming - it doesn't seem like that's the case by the things you have posted in the past, but I may be completely wrong. If I were you, I would find a two-day upper/lower split lifting routine - relatively high reps/low weight based on something like this: exrx.net/.../Workout2UL Then, given that you do want to do long-distance stuff, I would swim 4 times a week with one full rest day. I would try to make them the coached workouts as much as possible - both for the coaching, and because being able to train with other people is generally more fun and more motivating. You (and really any adult in sports in a non-professional capacity) should be optimizing, not maximizing, workout load. You want to do the smallest amount the produces the adapatations you want - more is not always, and actually is very rarely, better. My n=1: I took 6 years off swimming after swimming at a relatively high level through college. A year after getting back in, I swim generally 3 times a week, about 12km a week. I do 2-3 CrossFit or lifting sessions a week, about an hour a pop. I try to take one day completely off (that is today for me due to the polar vortex closing schools/pools). I had a meet last weekend, and went two lifetime best times and two Masters best times. My point: Most people don't need as much work as they think they need in order to see improvement. Of course because I'm enjoying swimming in
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    OK, in my opinion you do not need to be doing doubles. Unless of course you are doing them because you really enjoy swimming - it doesn't seem like that's the case by the things you have posted in the past, but I may be completely wrong. If I were you, I would find a two-day upper/lower split lifting routine - relatively high reps/low weight based on something like this: exrx.net/.../Workout2UL Then, given that you do want to do long-distance stuff, I would swim 4 times a week with one full rest day. I would try to make them the coached workouts as much as possible - both for the coaching, and because being able to train with other people is generally more fun and more motivating. You (and really any adult in sports in a non-professional capacity) should be optimizing, not maximizing, workout load. You want to do the smallest amount the produces the adapatations you want - more is not always, and actually is very rarely, better. My n=1: I took 6 years off swimming after swimming at a relatively high level through college. A year after getting back in, I swim generally 3 times a week, about 12km a week. I do 2-3 CrossFit or lifting sessions a week, about an hour a pop. I try to take one day completely off (that is today for me due to the polar vortex closing schools/pools). I had a meet last weekend, and went two lifetime best times and two Masters best times. My point: Most people don't need as much work as they think they need in order to see improvement. Of course because I'm enjoying swimming in
Children
No Data