VASA trainers - need advice!

Are VASA trainers worth it? Here's my scenario: I'm booster board president for a high school team. Our coach acquired six VASA trainers that need to be refurbished, approx $2,000 total. We practice off site from the high school, so dry-lands are done at the pool. There is no fitness room or equipment like that at the pool, so the kids do body weight exercises and maybe some bands. I'm looking for input from people who've used VASA trainers and can weigh in on their benefit. Thanks!! PS It'd probably be nice if my Masters group could use them, but we don't have a fundraising account to help contribute with the cost.
  • Hi Kathleen, I owned a VASA Trainer (one of the early models) for the better part of 20 years and used it extensively for about 5 years. I liked it and felt that I gained upper body strength from using it. I also had my college swimmers use it during our dryland sessions. Three observations I can offer: a) Yes, there are different exercises that VASA shows can be done with the Trainer (leg explosiveness), but I found they did not work terribly well, so my focus was entirely on upper body pulling (free, ***, and back). b) The demos have testimonials about using the trainer for 30 minutes. I could rarely use them continuously for more than 40-50 repeats (about 2 minutes) before my arms/lats were exhausted. Not a bad thing - just want you to know my experience. c) It is really easy for people using the Trainers to do the pull completely wrong by pulling with their elbows leading the way. So, after a couple of season with the college kids, I quit using them. I did not want to reinforce a dropped elbow pull. If the kids will do the correct pulling mechanics, these will be great. Otherwise, I would not spend the money. Paul Windrath
  • Hi Kathleen, I partnered up with Vasa in 2014 and reviewed the Swim Ergometer. It's different from the Trainer, although the drills I practiced on the Erg can also be used on the Trainer. I know that you need to work with the Trainers, but if you ever get funding for your Masters group, I would highly recommend the Erg as opposed to the Trainer. I like the fact that you can adjust your speed and difficulty level, and the Power Meter on the Erg is a great plus. Either way, I found that the Vasas are great dryland tools that are specifically geared towards swimming. Of course, they are not a substitute for the pool, but in combination with swim workouts they are good supplements. I really enjoyed testing out the Erg and wrote an in-depth review for it which I'm sharing here. Hope it's helpful! www.swimspire.com/.../
  • I would give the VASA trainer a 2 thumbs up. I enjoy mine and feel like it is a good strength device for swimmers. If you get 6 and your total investment is the 2k refurb, that is even a bonus!!
  • Our team just acquired one for free. I need to assemble it and get some instructions as in it's use. Anyone have the papers that came with it that I could copy from the forum? Thanx OZ
  • Our team just acquired one for free. I need to assemble it and get some instructions as in it's use. Anyone have the papers that came with it that I could copy from the forum? Thanx OZ I'll try to remember to scan them and attach to the thread or a PM. You could also look on their website to see if they have them posted for download. the company is very swimmer friendly and I'm guessing they would email a copy to you if they're not found on the webpage. You can also find additional paddles, straps and other replacement parts to purchase on their webpage or available by calling and ordering.
  • Here's a link to a you tube video on assembling the vasa trainer www.youtube.com/watch Here's one to a manual vasatrainer.com/.../Trainer_Part1-3_2015.pdf
  • Cool! All I need now is for the coach to print out the paper plans and a LOT of time to assemble the thing. I'm guessing at least some of the parts have been lost .Thanx Fatboy for the info.
  • Thanks for the responses! I forgot to come back and check because our season is now underway (lots of booster stuff to take care of). The other boosters and the comp team that originally agreed to split the cost backed out, so the project is currently on hold. I'm going to keep the info shared here because the trainers are filling up the team storage room, so maybe it will come up again. Our group wanted to move forward with the refurbs.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    The gym I use has one on the workout floor. I think it's awesome. I think it's an excellent machine, and definitely something that would be worth the investment.