Protein Powder for recovery?

Hello,

I am a 54 year old long time swimmer.  I have noticed that my recovery from one workout to the next is not anywhere near what it used to be.  I have a pretty good workout and the next one  is pretty flat (lack of energy and slower). I know this comes with age, but I heard that a protein powder recovery mix could potentially help me with recovery and muscle repair.  

Does anyone have any experience with this.  Do these protein recovery drinks make any difference?  Also, any brands or specific mixes you can recommend that have worked well?  

Thank you.

Parents
  • There is a lot of peer reviewed scientific lilterature regarding this. Bottom line is that protein supplementation immediately after workouts and reaching a total daily protein intake much higher than recommended for non-athletes of "mature" age (and for younger athletes) has been shown to be good for muscle rebuilding, workout recovery, and general competitive conditioning. If you do a search you will find a lot of info but be sure to look for scientific articles and not just marketing pitches. Whey protein has usually been found to be the best supplement. There are a zillion recommendations for specific brands; I do not think it makes that much difference. Milk by itself is not that great. 

• There is a lot of peer reviewed scientific lilterature regarding this. Bottom line is that protein supplementation immediately after workouts and reaching a total daily protein intake much higher than recommended for non-athletes of "mature" age (and for younger athletes) has been shown to be good for muscle rebuilding, workout recovery, and general competitive conditioning. If you do a search you will find a lot of info but be sure to look for scientific articles and not just marketing pitches. Whey protein has usually been found to be the best supplement. There are a zillion recommendations for specific brands; I do not think it makes that much difference. Milk by itself is not that great. 

Children
No Data