Protein Powder for recovery?

Hello,

I am a 54 year old long time swimmer.  I have noticed that my recovery from one workout to the next is not anywhere near what it used to be.  I have a pretty good workout and the next one  is pretty flat (lack of energy and slower). I know this comes with age, but I heard that a protein powder recovery mix could potentially help me with recovery and muscle repair.  

Does anyone have any experience with this.  Do these protein recovery drinks make any difference?  Also, any brands or specific mixes you can recommend that have worked well?  

Thank you.

• Try choclate milk.  It has plenty of protein in it.

• I'm 47 and have begun noticing the same effect. I like Orgain chocolate powder. It's plant-based and tastes good- plus helps me from being so hungry the next day.

• Hi - I am a 66 year old (very) long time swimmer. 

You may wish to investigate the following four products to assist with physical recovery. I have been using Bodylogix for the last two+ years. 

1. Bodylogix Natural Isolate. Has all the right stuff except ProHydrolase, but best of breed otherwise. Available on Amazon.
    2. DBA Evolve Whey-26 Advanced. This product and several like it with “Whey-26 Advanced” appear to be private label products from Vita-Labs. This does contain ProHydrolase and is why I mention it. Clean product, too bad it appears to not be available on Amazon currently.
    3. BioTrust Low Carb Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder. Is a protein blend as opposed to a whey isolate, which is OK, but I prefer an isolate for quick absorption. Does contain ProHydrolase, and appears to be a good product I’d recommend.
    4. Transparent Labs 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate. Simple, clean. Not sure of how well it mixes, or taste, but has good user reviews.

• There is a lot of peer reviewed scientific lilterature regarding this. Bottom line is that protein supplementation immediately after workouts and reaching a total daily protein intake much higher than recommended for non-athletes of "mature" age (and for younger athletes) has been shown to be good for muscle rebuilding, workout recovery, and general competitive conditioning. If you do a search you will find a lot of info but be sure to look for scientific articles and not just marketing pitches. Whey protein has usually been found to be the best supplement. There are a zillion recommendations for specific brands; I do not think it makes that much difference. Milk by itself is not that great. 

• i like the whey protein isolate from Optimum Nutrition, chocolate bliss flavor. Tastes good, mixes easily with water, milk or almond milk. 26 grams of protein per scoop.

• 55 y/o, 20+ yr USMS.  I use P2Life and am not affiliated with the company.  Designed by swimmers for swimmers.  The NutriBoost Chocolate Shake is the best in my opinion and I add a little PowerBoost to it.  Not the most economical of concoctions but, for me, it seems to work well.

• Smoothie King Gladiator protein mix is your best bet- phenomenal results and easy to drink with water- you’ll never go wrong. It helps with all aspects.

cheers