My nutrition while swimming at middle age

Former Member
Former Member
Greetings folks, this last October 8th I received the news that I had NAFLS or Non alcoholic fatty liver syndrome. I laughed because I knew that alcohol and my diet both contributed to the fattiness. I'm now at the age where I enjoy facing my demons. I've longed seen men my age who have flat stomachs and almost look like they do cocaine at the financial jobs they work at. I have no idea but I suspect a ketogenic diet keeps them looking trim, but I suspect coke lol. Nevertheless the diagnosis has been a GODSEND. I received the news via one of those new fangled doctor portals that keep you as far away from personal interaction with the nurses and doctors, it's so clever and I'm sure the insurance companies are right behind the big curtain that separates you from a lawsuit. I was actually drinking a beer the day I got the news, read FATTY LIVER DIAGNOSIS and spit out my beer and dumped it in the sink. I have not had a drink since except a few (3) sips of my wife's wine. All the news out there and my doctor's advice was (through the portal) "eat a low fat diet and exercise". Exercise, yes, low fat??? are you kidding me doc, F-yourself I said to me. I knew instantly right then and there that I would be doomed following this advice. I immediately called my wife and told her, "we're starting keto today." She agreed since she's already got food allergies to corn, flour, wheat, white refined rice etc. I was probably killing her with my eating habits, non-stop Mexican food, tortilla chips with homemade fire salsa, eating out a ton which meant exposure to canola oils and margarines and who knows what else. We stopped cold turkey from EVERYTHING and went full keto October 8th 2020 that evening. I weighed 231lbs at 6'4" October 8th. I weigh 215.4 as of this morning and I'm feeling amazing. The biggest thing was the sleep which was erratic at first but after a few weeks settled down. I didn't feel alive enough to start swimming again the first 2 weeks but after I settled in and got a routine down with intermittent fasting I had loads of energy that needed to be burned somewhere, like a pool and a weight room. BTW, intermittent fasting is a fad with all the skinny rich women you know but it naturally happens on the Keto diet. In two weeks I was down to eating twice a day because I was always FULL. I mean like sick full. Just yesterday for example I went to lift weights in the early morning and didn't eat lunch until 1:40pm. That's a 19:40min fast! I did have an apple cider vinegar carbonated water with lemon drink while working at home around 11am but didn't feel the need to eat until 1:30pm or so. I eat dinner around 6pm everyday thus the long fast time. Energy in the pool. I used to think (thanks to myriad coaches' opinions) that carb loading is what was needed for high athletic performance. That is one of the greatest myths in sport and there is a ton of data to support that it's a lie. In a fasted state at 7:30am I can put down 4k yds and NEVER lose energy. I just drink water with lemon to improve taste and palatability. I used to sip on carb loaded sugary drinks while swimming in college and high school. Ever drink Nutrament back in the early 90s? We swam 16-24k meters on a Saturday back then and I had to maintain some sort of nutrition while roasting my shoulders. Nothing like a sugary milky snack to keep my energy up...what a farce we were living :badday: . I cannot wait to get down to my goal weight of 195 to see how I feel in the water. Once there I will drink a fatty concoction while in the pool to maintain energy sans the sugar. My goto these days is 1 avocado, maca powder, stevia, chia seeds and green powder with MCT oil. Nothing is better for pure raw energy for me. Anywho, thought I'd share. Would love to hear other's stories about quitting the traditional swimmer diet myth of carb heavy thinking and moving to higher protein and fat based nutrition. These are just my decisions I made after a diagnosis with serious consequences and in no means a dig or rub towards what may work for you. Peace.
Parents
  • I have only been training for 5 months now and am approaching my 4th meet in the middle of February. What works for me is plenty of water and Net Zero Gatorade during practice. I eat plenty of protein, fish, some meats, turkey, vegetables, healthy snacks, bananas, blue berries, soups, salads, nuts, eggs, oat meal, sandwiches, shakes, etc. I don’t drink alcohol. Some carbs are OK. I like brown rice and suchi. No milk. No pasta. Some dark chocolate. I am a retired cross fit athlete and they had a similar nutritional prescription that was posted on their wall. Dieting is challenging, although I try my best. I do some intermediate fasting 2x per month. Also dry land full body work outs with weights 1-2x per month. I am open to new ideas and will switch things up if needed.  

• I have only been training for 5 months now and am approaching my 4th meet in the middle of February. What works for me is plenty of water and Net Zero Gatorade during practice. I eat plenty of protein, fish, some meats, turkey, vegetables, healthy snacks, bananas, blue berries, soups, salads, nuts, eggs, oat meal, sandwiches, shakes, etc. I don’t drink alcohol. Some carbs are OK. I like brown rice and suchi. No milk. No pasta. Some dark chocolate. I am a retired cross fit athlete and they had a similar nutritional prescription that was posted on their wall. Dieting is challenging, although I try my best. I do some intermediate fasting 2x per month. Also dry land full body work outs with weights 1-2x per month. I am open to new ideas and will switch things up if needed.  

Children
No Data