Polymyalgia Rheumatica

I was diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) about nine months ago.  I started on 20mg per day of prednisone and have been on a slow taper to reduce the dosage and hopefully get off of it at some point.

I tried to keep swimming a couple of days per week, but the joint pain and side effects of the prednisone have kept me out of the pool for the past two months.  About all the exercise I can manage is walking a mile or so twice a week.

Anyone here had to deal with PMR?  What was your experience?

Complicating things, I've now also been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome and osteoarthritis in my right hand. Looking at surgery in late January.

Not a good time right now. 

Mark Usher

Parents
  • Had it a few years ago.   I was 65 at that time.   It came out of nowhere!!!   Scared the crap out of me.

Started at 25Mg prednisone ... Took about a year to taper out.  I couldn't swim the width of the pool at the time it was in full force.  I would use a pool noodle to get in the water and just float, move what I could.   I found the water helped soothe me and relax me, as it always did & does.   Slowly but surely, as I tapered off the meds, I would paddle about.  One stroke at a time, first the width then the length and then another until I was off the drugs and doing my laps again.  

Now I am coming up on 73, swim nlt 3days/week.  Mile is my minimum.  Goal is to still be able to swim 3 miles on my 75th birthday.   My recommendation -  GET IN THE WATER !!!   FLOAT-PADDLE-SWIM !!!

Have Hope & Faith, GOD will provide the Charity.        Health, Happiness & GOD's Blessings to you.

Dennis

• Had it a few years ago.   I was 65 at that time.   It came out of nowhere!!!   Scared the crap out of me.

Started at 25Mg prednisone ... Took about a year to taper out.  I couldn't swim the width of the pool at the time it was in full force.  I would use a pool noodle to get in the water and just float, move what I could.   I found the water helped soothe me and relax me, as it always did & does.   Slowly but surely, as I tapered off the meds, I would paddle about.  One stroke at a time, first the width then the length and then another until I was off the drugs and doing my laps again.  

Now I am coming up on 73, swim nlt 3days/week.  Mile is my minimum.  Goal is to still be able to swim 3 miles on my 75th birthday.   My recommendation -  GET IN THE WATER !!!   FLOAT-PADDLE-SWIM !!!

Have Hope & Faith, GOD will provide the Charity.        Health, Happiness & GOD's Blessings to you.

Dennis

Children
No Data