swimming after carpal tunnel surgery

I'm having Carpal tunnel surgery in a couple of weeks, and I'm wondered if any other swimmers have had this surgery and how long did it take you back to training?

• I’m not a doctor or medical professional, and I haven’t had carpal tunnel surgery, but enough other surgeries to know that you won’t be allowed back in the water at least until the surgical incision wound heals completely. I’d say a couple of weeks just for that anyway. That’s just to make sure it doesn’t get infected. Beyond that…you need to go with whatever the surgeon, and PTs recommend with regard to various pressure and stress s/he recommended. You need to find out exactly from you doctor and follow her/his instructions.

Dan

• The is a person to person answer. It has to do with surgical procedure, scare tissue, neurological presentation, and mostly with response to stress on tissues.  Your PT should be able to help. If he/she is not, contact me at Arlette@ageupwell.com

• Arlette,

Thanks for the reply.  All is well now with my hand.  I only feel a slight twinge when I climb out of the pool.  (and this is fading too).

Michael