getting back in the pool after a total hip replacement..

Broke my right hip with replacement surgery 11/1/21.. I am curious to know what it  is like getting back in the water the first time? I see my Ortho Doc this Friday and it is on the top of the list of what i can start doing again. I am back waking 5 miles and lifting light weighs.. Thanks for any information you would like to share. 

Parents
  • I fell and had a replacement 2/21. I made sure to do PT everyday, watch my diet and generally take better care of myself.  I was 68 when fell. I worked to get off the walker after 6 weeks. Back in the water on 3/30/21 to do the 1 hour swim. I need to do open turns and completed 2300 yards. So proud I could enter the 1 hour swim. I then started back to Masters practice in the slow lane and slowly got better. Luckily the pool was set up long course and didn't have to turn as much. Turns seem to create the most problems - continued to do PT everyday at home. By first week of May I swam the 5k Miami swim. I needed help in and out of the water but got it done! I still have issues if too many turns and too much walking. Be patient and work toward complete recovery. The best advise is keep moving - contact me if you want to discuss further. Catherine Rust

• Are you able to swim with fins yet? If so, how intensely? Thanks.

• I just saw your post…sorry about the delay. After 16 months have no problem with flip turns even in SCY. I am kicking better both with and without fins but still am limited. I try to do at least 500 kick a session on my back without a board. Because I am a distance swimmer I usually swim 4000-5000 6 days/week with some being open water.  Hope your recovery is going well

• Could you please tell me which surgical approach you had done- anterior or posterior?

Reply Children
No Data