Lower back pain

Started back at the gym about 5 weeks ago.  A week and a half ago I pulled a muscle in my lower back but kept working out.  Later that day I tried to do a yoga class but could only last 15 minutes because of the pain.  Of course, all of this didn't stop me from doing a swim workout the next day despite pain doing flip turns.  Anyway, finally saw the light and laid off.  Haven't gone back to the gym nor done yoga. I only did one easy but long swim in the ocean.  Back started feeling better so I swam at the pool on Friday doing half the yardage, no flip turns and very easy, Saturday I went for a long walk, Sunday I mowed the lawn and other gardening and now my back is killing me.  I'm in my second day of doing nothing and first day using a hot water bottle. Open water races start in 2 weeks so anxious to get better.  Any tips?

• Hi Kainalunui, 

I am new to masters swimming and i just happned to see message. My name is Joey Pedraza, i swam for the usa national team and nowi dedicate my time in health and fitness performance.  Lower back is usaully a common injury associated with the core and the hip complex. if you are still interested in hgetting better, please let me know. id be happy to help. 

hope all is well.