Rotator cuff surgery.

After I swam for a month in Oct. in pain,I had an X-ray and then MRI to show that I have a partially torn rotator cuff. Doc says it "should heal by itself, given time" How long an my age of almost 75 will this take and no guarantee to a positive result is unknown to me. Have any of had this type of surgery done and what are your results? How long is recovery? What do think of the repair after going back to swimming? I have been pretty good at IM and fly. Will I be able to recovery enough to continue these strokes? Thanx to all that offer advice.
Parents
  • I had the surgery. I agree with Choc...I donâ€Tmt think itâ€Tmll repair on its own. Or at least itâ€Tms very unlikely too. And the thing is...since itâ€Tms already compromised...something very minor could cause it to completely sever. The surgery recover for just a tear is bad enough. But I know someone whoâ€Tms RC supraspunianus (sp) completely severed. Iâ€Tmd read somewhere that RC surgery is among the top three WORST surgeries to recover from. I can certainly agree with that! But I wouldnâ€Tmt want to have it for a complete sever. It took about a year...but after complete recovery I was swimming just as fast...actually faster...than prior to the tear. I set some PRs in the few years after. For sure itâ€Tms no fun! But...my suggestion is to get second and third opinions and strongly consider having it surgically repaired. Dan
  • I had the surgery. I agree with Choc...I donâ€Tmt think itâ€Tmll repair on its own. Or at least itâ€Tms very unlikely too. And the thing is...since itâ€Tms already compromised...something very minor could cause it to completely sever. The surgery recover for just a tear is bad enough. But I know someone whoâ€Tms RC supraspunianus (sp) completely severed. Iâ€Tmd read somewhere that RC surgery is among the top three WORST surgeries to recover from. I can certainly agree with that! But I wouldnâ€Tmt want to have it for a complete sever. It took about a year...but after complete recovery I was swimming just as fast...actually faster...than prior to the tear. I set some PRs in the few years after. For sure itâ€Tms no fun! But...my suggestion is to get second and third opinions and strongly consider having it surgically repaired. Dan
Children
No Data