Rotator cuff surgery.

After I swam for a month in Oct. in pain,I had an X-ray and then MRI to show that I have a partially torn rotator cuff. Doc says it "should heal by itself, given time" How long an my age of almost 75 will this take and no guarantee to a positive result is unknown to me. Have any of had this type of surgery done and what are your results? How long is recovery? What do think of the repair after going back to swimming? I have been pretty good at IM and fly. Will I be able to recovery enough to continue these strokes? Thanx to all that offer advice.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    I've had both shoulders done. I can tell you, if you can avoid a knife, then do so. I couldn't, as I couldn't lift my arm correctly and fly was painful. Surgery is painful. Drugs do help. Recovery for 1 shoulder took 14months, the other 2 years, and that one is still not the best. No pain, but mobility isn't as it was and it aches in the cold. All the time out of the water sapped my strength and fitness; I've never got those back. My advice is to grin and bare it for as long as you can. Your doctor is wrong - a tear will not self repair. My surgeon told me that. If you need to go under the knife then get as fit as you can before the day. Do everything the phyiso's give you to do and DO NOT rush anything during recovery; simply follow their lead and take your time. Think long term - plan the long game and you'll come right. Once back in the water don't rip into the fly first off. When you do, start with 25's and be kind to yourself, use fins to assist. Even if you feel like zapping out a few 100's don't do it. Long and slow wins the war my friend. Good luck.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    I've had both shoulders done. I can tell you, if you can avoid a knife, then do so. I couldn't, as I couldn't lift my arm correctly and fly was painful. Surgery is painful. Drugs do help. Recovery for 1 shoulder took 14months, the other 2 years, and that one is still not the best. No pain, but mobility isn't as it was and it aches in the cold. All the time out of the water sapped my strength and fitness; I've never got those back. My advice is to grin and bare it for as long as you can. Your doctor is wrong - a tear will not self repair. My surgeon told me that. If you need to go under the knife then get as fit as you can before the day. Do everything the phyiso's give you to do and DO NOT rush anything during recovery; simply follow their lead and take your time. Think long term - plan the long game and you'll come right. Once back in the water don't rip into the fly first off. When you do, start with 25's and be kind to yourself, use fins to assist. Even if you feel like zapping out a few 100's don't do it. Long and slow wins the war my friend. Good luck.
Children
No Data