Swimming after Retinal Detachment?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, as if COVID wasn't bad enough (no swimming, no anything!), my retina detached 2 days after everything closed down here. I can't lift for 4 months, but per the surgeon, swimming is fine. (2 months post surgery). Of course, pools are closed here, but hopefully not for much longer. Has anyone had this surgery and if so, did your retina detach after you resumed swimming? I am terrified. I was lucky to catch is early and have a good surgeon, but suffered significant vision loss. Apparently, the retina can detach again.
Parents
  • Hmm, I better clarify what I meant by "swimming" although I did ask about wearing goggles and have mentioned numerous times what type of workouts I did every day. She still trains hard, she just backs off on the underwaters because she'll go nearly 15M on the start, and then go 12-13 yards each of the next couple of turns, and still go 10 yards on the last turn of a 200. But she is afraid that she strains holding her breath. That's really the only thing that would be less hard. That and, of course, the team is just getting back in the water, and has only been able to do 4 one hour workouts per week. Hope I didn't mislead you into thinking she isn't able to push herself. But when she had the buckle, which kept her out longer, it was 4 weeks post-op, versus 2 for the vitrectomy. Given that you are 2 months in, I would expect that you'd be fine. But yeah, you may want to make sure the surgeon knows that your training is (presumably) some pretty intense and hard setts, similar to Crossfit or HIIT or whatever, and not just lollygagging swimming 1,000 yards continuously in 30 minutes. Just to make sure you aren't straining yourself more than he/she'd be comfortable with.
  • Hmm, I better clarify what I meant by "swimming" although I did ask about wearing goggles and have mentioned numerous times what type of workouts I did every day. She still trains hard, she just backs off on the underwaters because she'll go nearly 15M on the start, and then go 12-13 yards each of the next couple of turns, and still go 10 yards on the last turn of a 200. But she is afraid that she strains holding her breath. That's really the only thing that would be less hard. That and, of course, the team is just getting back in the water, and has only been able to do 4 one hour workouts per week. Hope I didn't mislead you into thinking she isn't able to push herself. But when she had the buckle, which kept her out longer, it was 4 weeks post-op, versus 2 for the vitrectomy. Given that you are 2 months in, I would expect that you'd be fine. But yeah, you may want to make sure the surgeon knows that your training is (presumably) some pretty intense and hard setts, similar to Crossfit or HIIT or whatever, and not just lollygagging swimming 1,000 yards continuously in 30 minutes. Just to make sure you aren't straining yourself more than he/she'd be comfortable with.
Children
No Data