Swimming after Retinal Detachment?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, as if COVID wasn't bad enough (no swimming, no anything!), my retina detached 2 days after everything closed down here. I can't lift for 4 months, but per the surgeon, swimming is fine. (2 months post surgery). Of course, pools are closed here, but hopefully not for much longer. Has anyone had this surgery and if so, did your retina detach after you resumed swimming? I am terrified. I was lucky to catch is early and have a good surgeon, but suffered significant vision loss. Apparently, the retina can detach again.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    67King, thank you so much for such a thorough explanation. You certainly have done your research. When this happened to me, I was playing tennis, saw a shower of specks which I ignored, since I've had floaters for 20+ years. Then the dreaded "curtain" 2 days later, found me at Retina dr. and surgery next day. In a county where COVID cases were very high, and nothing was open other than emergencies. I had the buckle, long acting gas bubble and vitrectomy. At 2 month check up, pressure was perfect, and retina looked great. I am taking no chances. I had to lie face down 24 hours a day with 10 min. breaks every hour for 8 days. The hardest surgical recovery I ever had, especially since I worked out 2 to 3 hours a day and only sat to eat. How old is your daughter? Did she have trauma to her eye? How is she handling this? You can PM me if you'd like. I am more than happy to chat with her as well. I know how frightening this can be. I also know how little info we are given after surgery. I go to every appt with a list of questions or concerns. I've done enough research to know if my RD was due to aging, thinning of retina, etc., it could happen in the other eye, but I also know there's a 90% success rate first time around regarding my RD eye. I was told no lifting more than 10 lbs until 3 month check up, so weight lifting is out -- gyms are closed anyway, but I can't do anything involving laying flat or bending over. Ugghh. Very interesting about backstroke. I plan to ask about that. I also did a lot of underwater swimming (dolphin kick practice, etc.).
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    67King, thank you so much for such a thorough explanation. You certainly have done your research. When this happened to me, I was playing tennis, saw a shower of specks which I ignored, since I've had floaters for 20+ years. Then the dreaded "curtain" 2 days later, found me at Retina dr. and surgery next day. In a county where COVID cases were very high, and nothing was open other than emergencies. I had the buckle, long acting gas bubble and vitrectomy. At 2 month check up, pressure was perfect, and retina looked great. I am taking no chances. I had to lie face down 24 hours a day with 10 min. breaks every hour for 8 days. The hardest surgical recovery I ever had, especially since I worked out 2 to 3 hours a day and only sat to eat. How old is your daughter? Did she have trauma to her eye? How is she handling this? You can PM me if you'd like. I am more than happy to chat with her as well. I know how frightening this can be. I also know how little info we are given after surgery. I go to every appt with a list of questions or concerns. I've done enough research to know if my RD was due to aging, thinning of retina, etc., it could happen in the other eye, but I also know there's a 90% success rate first time around regarding my RD eye. I was told no lifting more than 10 lbs until 3 month check up, so weight lifting is out -- gyms are closed anyway, but I can't do anything involving laying flat or bending over. Ugghh. Very interesting about backstroke. I plan to ask about that. I also did a lot of underwater swimming (dolphin kick practice, etc.).
Children
No Data