Shoulder Impingement

Former Member
Former Member
Looking for some of your experience with shoulder injuries. I am 26 year old male and have swam masters for years, and injured my shoulder about 5 months ago while training vigorously for the 200 IM and 200 free. I developed it from backstroke because i was not rotating body enough and over strained left shoulder. MRI showed impingement and tendonitus, did 8 weeks of PT religiously, but still have issues and cannot swim without residual pain. I definitely cannot compete anymore and haven't swam but a couple times this year. Doctor says he can scope it and clean the bursitus out. I think he's offering arthroscopic decompression. Anyone have any experience with roughing it through shoulder injuries or anyone have any shoulder surgeries? Were they successful?
Parents
  • Breathe to your non-breathing side. Then transition to alternate breathing. A snorkel is OK in the short term, but it will mess up your body rotation, hence your stroke efficiency. Iâ€Tmve had this more than once. Injections work to calm down the inflammation so you can stay in the pool, but you need the above strategies to take the pressure off of the joint. Good luck!
  • Breathe to your non-breathing side. Then transition to alternate breathing. A snorkel is OK in the short term, but it will mess up your body rotation, hence your stroke efficiency. Iâ€Tmve had this more than once. Injections work to calm down the inflammation so you can stay in the pool, but you need the above strategies to take the pressure off of the joint. Good luck!
Children
No Data