Labral Tear surgery and swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hello All, I am a 29 year old female who was been struggling with right shoulder pain for the last 6 months. I went to my Dr. in Sep and they wanted a MRI done. The MRI showed that I have a labral tear and a frayed super supraspinatus. I went and saw 2 different orthopedic surgeons. One said I would never swim again and the other said he could do the repair, but I will have VERY limited range of motion and it may "blow out" again and I will have to have the surgery redone in a few years. I am a long distance open water swimmer. I love to swim 5ks, I am worried that this or any kind of swimming will no longer be possible for me if I have this surgery. I have been going to PT and have stopped swimming because it hurts so bad. PT is really not helping, but makes me feel like I am doing something. Can anyone tell me about the good and the bad behind this surgery if you or someone you know has had it? How long did you have to stop swimming for? Could you ( overtime) get back to your regular swimming routine? What steps did you take after surgery to get you back into the pool? Thanks so much for your help!
Parents Reply Children
No Data