Another Shoulder Question

Former Member
Former Member
I see there are a lot of questions about shoulder health, so hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse. I'm just now getting back into the water after swimming and playing water polo in high school and college. I'm 44 now. I've had three surgeries on my left shoulder. The first one was 1999 and the most recent (rotator cuff/bicep tenodecis) was just under two years ago. I'm starting out with two days a week and doing about 2200 yards each time. Everything feels great so far and looking to increase the number of days a week I'm going. I swim on my own and following some of the plans that are available from the USMS site. I'm looking for things to be proactive with keeping my shoulders healthy. Can anyone recommend any stretching or strength building routines? Any advice for things to do in the water? I think I know the answer to this, but should I look for a local team to try and get someone to look at my stroke. I'm guessing that would be a 'yes'. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Your first post in 10 years!! After three surgeries I think I'd be talking to either a sports-minded orthopaedist or physical therapist about any stretching or strength building. Getting your stroke looked at by a good coach sounds like a good idea.
  • I had a shoulder fixed about 10 years ago and my doc said that rotator cuff exercises are for life now so I do them a few times per week to keep the small muscles strong. You can google them or ask your PT for some. Also if you feel pain, stop. Let it heal so you don’t screw it up for good
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Yeah, the 2009 was my first attempt at this, but it didn't stick. I'm loving it now and look forward to getting in the water. I'll reach out to the physical therapist that I did my most recent rehab with. She was really good and all about getting back to normal activities. Thanks for the advice. I'll try not to be a stranger on the message board here. Thanks again.
  • Ask your P-T about scapular stabilization. Just as important as rotator cuff strength.