Any eye doctors, or anyone swim after an eye surgery?

This is about my daughter (14). Retinal detachment, genetic (she's -11 diopters!). Going in for surgery today to put this silicone band around it. Some grey area in doctor's orders, we have follow-ups, but a non-swimming doctor will say "no swimming," so I am hoping I may be able to get some input. He defaulted to "I don't care what you do, just do NOT let water in it for 3 weeks." Here's teh rub, she is a Winter Juniors qualifier, and has a very, very good shot at Summer Juniors in both backs, and a pretty decent shot in the 100 fly, as well. A 2-3 week break will pretty much kill that, as our LSC Championship meet is in 5-1/2 weeks. The meet this weekend where we were really hoping to make it is obviously out of the question. So my question is, is there anyone with experience trying to continue to train right after surgery, or might there be an eye doctor (even better, a surgeon) on the board who knows how things that keep water out of the eyes (goggles, or goggles plus tape, etc.) work? Default is to just not take a chance, she's young, she's already cacught the eye of one good D1 program's coach, etc. But if there is a professional here who can tell me if it is at all possible to train with ZERO increased risk to not training, I would really appreciate the input. Again, to erase all ambiguity, not looking for feedback on risks. I'm sure many reading this are thinking "Dude, it just isn't worth the risk!" and I agree! Unless we hear otherwise, we won't be taking them.
  • My surgeon was also a masters swimming teammate at the time so he knew how badly I wanted to at least use a kickboard, but the answer was no. . Thank you! Not the response I was hoping to hear, but exactly the perspective I was after. No exercise at all for a week, no more than 10 pounds weight, even. But, hey, at least she is young.
  • Default is to just not take a chance, she's young..........................But if there is a professional here who can tell me if it is at all possible to train with ZERO increased risk to not training, I would really appreciate the input. Again, to erase all ambiguity, not looking for feedback on risks. I'm sure many reading this are thinking "Dude, it just isn't worth the risk!" and I agree! Unless we hear otherwise, we won't be taking them. not an eye doctor but as a reader, i would encourage you to follow the post op instructions to the letter of the law. this is her sight... swimming is a big deal but it is not forever. Also if it is genetic, i can only her assume eventually her other eye may be at risk as well. general surgical principle would dictate that you only get one "First' chance to heal from a surgery and any revisions/complications diminish in success rates. Guess I was ambiguous despite my attempts to not be. Tried to highlight that she is ****NOT**** taking risks. I guess the only thing I should have added would have been to say that if any "yeah, here is how we handle that" situations were mentioned, I would know how to talk to the doctor about it. That said, I'm asking because she is at the age where recruiting starts coming into play (she's a year ahead in school). And Jr. Olympics only comes around once per year. Missing that meet would compress the recruiting window by a year. I'd a whole lot rather have coaches looking at her for 2 years, rather than just one. Missing 2-3 weeks this time of the season pretty much eliminates that potential.
  • Just asking because ro most people, "swimming" means horsing around in pool. Surgeon said this morning "just dont get any water in it."
  • Yeah, probably not worth it. Not onlyl do you have pool water to contend with, but the pressure of the goggles on the eyes may not be good for it. Then you throw in diving where you could not only have issues with the goggles/pressure, but accidentally getting water in? Eyes are a lifetime. Swimming is not. for recruiting, are there schools she would like to go to that you can contact the coaches to see if they will be at any other events?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    not an eye doctor but as a reader, i would encourage you to follow the post op instructions to the letter of the law. this is her sight... swimming is a big deal but it is not forever. Also if it is genetic, i can only her assume eventually her other eye may be at risk as well. general surgical principle would dictate that you only get one "First' chance to heal from a surgery and any revisions/complications diminish in success rates.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I'm not a doctor but I have had eye surgery to remove a pterygium. I don't specifically recall the time frame that I was restricted from swimming but it was a few weeks at least. My surgeon was also a masters swimming teammate at the time so he knew how badly I wanted to at least use a kickboard, but the answer was no. It's not really a great substitute but I think your best option is to have her try to maintain some level of fitness with weights and stretch cords while waiting for the eye to heal. Hope all goes well with the surgery.
  • Yeah, probably not worth it. Not onlyl do you have pool water to contend with, but the pressure of the goggles on the eyes may not be good for it. Then you throw in diving where you could not only have issues with the goggles/pressure, but accidentally getting water in? Eyes are a lifetime. Swimming is not. for recruiting, are there schools she would like to go to that you can contact the coaches to see if they will be at any other events? Stuff I'm wondering about is, can she do kick sets? Or those larger open water goggles? Or "patch" the eye and wear goggles? Anyway, things went very well, we have a follow-up on Tuesday morning (week from today). We'll talk again, then. LIke I said, just wondering if there are things I could ask the doctor about. Jr. Nationals is what we are generally considered to be the meet where you get noticed. And obviously it is once per year. So the timing of this just stinks is the big thing. Good news is that she should be a Scholastic All American this year (freshman) based on her Winter Juniors time and academics, which will by all means help! But whatever, we'll get through it. The shock and disappointment has worn off a bit, so coming to grips is easier. Anyway, not trying to be crazy "push your kid" parent. More like crazy "do everything you can to support your kid" parent. 67Queen is a physician, and doesn't have a competitive (sports wise) bone in her body, so she won't let any chances be taken, anyway.
  • If she is a freshman she should have many more chances to qualify for Juniors (not trying to diminish how prestigious it is these days to make Summer Juniors!). Hope she has a speedy recovery. Bet she can still make the cuts this summer!
  • I'm not an eye doctor, but I think the problem is going to be more from pressure than from water. If she is a Backstroker/flyer I expect her SDKs are awesome. There is no way to do good SDKs and not go deep and there is no way to I can see to go deep and not put undue pressure on the eye. So soory.
  • I'm not an eye doctor, but I think the problem is going to be more from pressure than from water. If she is a Backstroker/flyer I expect her SDKs are awesome. There is no way to do good SDKs and not go deep and there is no way to I can see to go deep and not put undue pressure on the eye. So soory. Surprisingly, the only thing the doctor is worried about is water. Well, at least that was the concern going in. Will see next week what he says. The other thing I had forgotten about his her team's senior training trip the following week (2 weeks post-op). The social aspect of that is important to her, but I guess we'll see. The initial disappointment is gone, and she's resigned to whatever we need to do. Yeah, she is an absolute beast underwater. Always the last kid up. Just gotta work on getting more push off of the wall.