Swimming with a PICC line?

Former Member
Former Member
Has anyone discovered a way to effectively waterproof a PICC line so you can swim and keep it dry? I’ve been out of the water for weeks and I’m going nuts not being able to swim. Still a few more weeks to go with IV infusions through the PICC. Dr. says stay out of the water....as Dr.s will say...
  • So you're asking for medical advice from us here on the internet instead of taking the sound advice from an actual medical professional? Dan Ha...my life.
  • Dr. says stay out of the water....as Dr.s will say... So you're asking for medical advice from us here on the internet instead of taking the sound advice from an actual medical professional? Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I know that you are going stir crazy not being able to swim, but you jeopardize the chance of the PICC getting infected and resulting in more time out of the pool. I say tough it out the next few weeks.
  • Former Member
    The doctor is probably worried about two things: one, the whole infection piece. You do have a hole in your skin leading directly into a vein, after all. Two, the risk that the line will dislodge during exercise - swimming requires repeated motions of the arms, stretching and bending, which does increase risk that the internal portion of the line may get kinked, blocked, or unseated. Basically, yes, it's maddening, but it's way better to go these two weeks now rather than mess up the placement or get an infection and need to have the PICC in for even longer.
  • Former Member
    I felt similarly after having pterygium surgery. My surgeon, a USMS teammate of mine at the time, told me no pool time for x number of weeks (I don't recall how long specifically). I asked about just using a kickboard, keeping my head out of the water, and he denied that as well. Not wanting to lose my vision or worse, I listened to him. Trust that your doctor is looking out for your best interest. It's hard to imagine any swimming you did would be remotely enjoyable anyway given the possibilities running through your mind of what pool water entering your bloodstream might mean for your health.
  • Ha...my life. exactly Stay out of the pool!
  • Former Member
    Thanks for the quick responses. I was really just seeing if anyone had experience with waterproofing the PICC line. I'm already following medical advice to not swim, lift my arm above my head etc. I was looking to walk in the pool, even float on my back, something totally low key.
  • A few more weeks out of water is nothing. It will be that much better once you do dive in. Dryland really isn’t too bad