Chronic ear issues from swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Anyone ever had issues with chronic ear infections or swimmers ear? I have had them all my life, as an infant to a crazy older lady... They used to occur 3-4 times a year, then I got custom ear molds about made about 8 years ago for swim and showers, and down to maybe 1 every 12-18 months. Last week I started feeling the usual fluid in my ear and tenderness, so I’ve been keeping my head out of the pool water and still wearing my earplugs. Today, it’s officially a full blown ear infection and the ENT used the little vacuum tube to drain it. You all are so resourceful and I was hoping maybe you all had some suggestions that I could take to an ENT dr or fix on my own.
  • Dan - yeah that’s crazy about a chiro. Unfortunately, I can’t go that route. I’ve got disc degeneration in my lower back and neck and my orthopedic dr said no chiro or cheap massage. I understand, and concur. Nevertheless, just being "looked" at (not necessarily "treated") by a chiropractor...i.e. another set of eyes that specialize in body alignment...might reveal something that others have overlooked. Then, you could seek other avenues for treating that problem that take you other spinal issues into consideration. Just sayin'... Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    If sudafed has an adverse effect, don't try it. Why replace suffering with more suffering? The active ingredient in "real" sudafed, the kind they keep behind the counter, is pseudoephedrine. The decongestant out on the shelf is typically phenylephrine. If you only react poorly to one, try the other. Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is an antihistamine. Interestingly, dramamine might help, as its active ingredient tends to dry people out, but bear in mind that, like benadryl, it can make you very sleepy.
  • I was reading about the alcohol drops last night when I was actually laying with my ear on a heating pad! So the alcohol helps? I just saw another suggestion on that below. A homemade cure can be mixed from a solution of half rubbing alcohol and half vinegar. The alcohol combines with water in the ear and then evaporates, removing the water, while the acidity of the vinegar keeps bacteria from growing. Apply a couple of drops of solution in each ear ... i've used this and it has been effective ... but nose plugs have helped more and by having less sinus issues i'm having less ear issues
  • Absolutely use ear drops. I'm really surprised in all those ENT visits you were never told to. I just use alcohol, as it breaks the surface tension of the water, and lets it drain out, and as mentioned above, mixes with it and evaporates very quickly. It may burn a little, but not very long.
  • I have had pool related ear problems for years. I suspect it to be from a silicon reaction or hypersensitivity. Once I avoided ear plugs the problems became controlled. I admit keeping ears dry is a challenge, especially without sticking anything inside the ear, but having ear infections can be serious. I also use ear drops only if absolutely necessary, for stubborn moisture. Good fitting swim caps do seem to limit the amount of moisture that enters the ear, as well as the head shaking between swims
  • Along with the drops, you can do a couple of other things. When you're drying your hair, you can wave the dryer over your ear (not directly in it) and it'll help to dry it out. Or another thing is to take some tissue paper and make a small point out of one corner and use it as a wick to pull water out of your ear. Again, don't cram it into you ear, but just keep it on the edge where it'll pull water to it.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I also always end up having ear issues because of swimming but I just can't get off the water once I'm in the pool. I recently bought custom swimming www.youtube.com/watch from Big Ear and they are working great so far. I just hope the perfect fit stays.
  • Ear drops work until you get an infection.  Afterwards, an antibiotic drops will clear things up in a few days, but must be prescribed.   And it depends on whether the infection is outer, mid, or inner ear.   I've only had to get anti-biotic fluid from a doctor a few times.  But they can diagnose the problem quickly.   Even a general practitioner can prescribe and diagnose an ear infection and prescribe a solution.  Plugs are a good bet if you get re-occurent infections.   You'll have to get used to them,  but an ear doctor can fit you for a custom pair which fit your ears perfectly.   They will cost about $60 though.  You can buy ear drops for swimmers at any pharmacy, or make your own solution to save money.  Star Otic used to be an excellent brand for swimmers ear, but I've had trouble finding it lately.  Good Luck!!!