Chronic ear issues from swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Anyone ever had issues with chronic ear infections or swimmers ear? I have had them all my life, as an infant to a crazy older lady... They used to occur 3-4 times a year, then I got custom ear molds about made about 8 years ago for swim and showers, and down to maybe 1 every 12-18 months. Last week I started feeling the usual fluid in my ear and tenderness, so I’ve been keeping my head out of the pool water and still wearing my earplugs. Today, it’s officially a full blown ear infection and the ENT used the little vacuum tube to drain it. You all are so resourceful and I was hoping maybe you all had some suggestions that I could take to an ENT dr or fix on my own.
Parents
  • Absolutely use ear drops. I'm really surprised in all those ENT visits you were never told to. I just use alcohol, as it breaks the surface tension of the water, and lets it drain out, and as mentioned above, mixes with it and evaporates very quickly. It may burn a little, but not very long.
  • Ear drops work until you get an infection.  Afterwards, an antibiotic drops will clear things up in a few days, but must be prescribed.   And it depends on whether the infection is outer, mid, or inner ear.   I've only had to get anti-biotic fluid from a doctor a few times.  But they can diagnose the problem quickly.   Even a general practitioner can prescribe and diagnose an ear infection and prescribe a solution.  Plugs are a good bet if you get re-occurent infections.   You'll have to get used to them,  but an ear doctor can fit you for a custom pair which fit your ears perfectly.   They will cost about $60 though.  You can buy ear drops for swimmers at any pharmacy, or make your own solution to save money.  Star Otic used to be an excellent brand for swimmers ear, but I've had trouble finding it lately.  Good Luck!!!

• Ear drops work until you get an infection.  Afterwards, an antibiotic drops will clear things up in a few days, but must be prescribed.   And it depends on whether the infection is outer, mid, or inner ear.   I've only had to get anti-biotic fluid from a doctor a few times.  But they can diagnose the problem quickly.   Even a general practitioner can prescribe and diagnose an ear infection and prescribe a solution.  Plugs are a good bet if you get re-occurent infections.   You'll have to get used to them,  but an ear doctor can fit you for a custom pair which fit your ears perfectly.   They will cost about $60 though.  You can buy ear drops for swimmers at any pharmacy, or make your own solution to save money.  Star Otic used to be an excellent brand for swimmers ear, but I've had trouble finding it lately.  Good Luck!!!

Children
No Data