Swimming with Parkinson's Disease

I did a search of the forums and couldn't find this topic being discussed anywhere. But I am curious if any of our members who have been diagnosed with PD and continue to swim might share any tips or advice with regards to training. Two friends of mine here in the Pittsburgh area have recently been diagnosed, and both are determined to continue swimming despite slowing down. It seems to me that aquatic exercise could be a great way to exercise and perhaps even slow down the progression of the disease. Surely, there must be within the greater USMS ranks more than a handful of swimmers who are currently contending with this disease. I told my one friend, who isn't a USMS member, that I would post an inquiry on his behalf here on the forums and share any results it might turn up. Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • Wow, I never knew this tidbit. Is the warmer water therapeutic in the treatment of PD, or just a means of relieving symptoms? A majority of PD patients have major issues with body temperature regulation.. both ways.. hot and cold. So the AEA recommendation is 90-92 degrees. With arthritis and other conditions the water temperature is theraputic as well as the exercise itself. So the Arthritis foundation gives grants to pools with the stipulation that you keep the pool at a specific minimum temperature, which is why some pools don't lower the temperature below 86 or whatever it is ( I think the number is 86 ).. A good number of neurological conditions require colder water.. So you have this no-win situation with water temp.. Personally for me it is colder water that helps.. That is really the challenge with it and I saw this in the group I worked out with.. the impact is wide ranging, from the people who sweat no matter what temperature, and the people who were always cold. Though I wish they would have gotten in the water. The pure freedom of water from balance and motor issues is really liberating..
  • Wow, I never knew this tidbit. Is the warmer water therapeutic in the treatment of PD, or just a means of relieving symptoms? A majority of PD patients have major issues with body temperature regulation.. both ways.. hot and cold. So the AEA recommendation is 90-92 degrees. With arthritis and other conditions the water temperature is theraputic as well as the exercise itself. So the Arthritis foundation gives grants to pools with the stipulation that you keep the pool at a specific minimum temperature, which is why some pools don't lower the temperature below 86 or whatever it is ( I think the number is 86 ).. A good number of neurological conditions require colder water.. So you have this no-win situation with water temp.. Personally for me it is colder water that helps.. That is really the challenge with it and I saw this in the group I worked out with.. the impact is wide ranging, from the people who sweat no matter what temperature, and the people who were always cold. Though I wish they would have gotten in the water. The pure freedom of water from balance and motor issues is really liberating..
Children
No Data