seeking strength

I am wondering where to focus for a hopeful return to competitive swimming after being away from the pool an entire year (from injuries). I have lost a lot of strength. (Female, age 60.) Weight workouts versus time in the pool? I am not sure how to proceed. I am swimming 3x/wk @ 2500 meters and that is going well. Thanks for any input.
  • May I ask what kind of injuries? That will determine what kind of strength work you will want to do. For instance, if they're overuse injuries, you're definitely going to want to strengthen the support muscles around that area. If the injuries are unrelated to swimming (and you are cleared to do whatever activity) you might want to hop on a general strength plan - compound strength exercises like squats, deadlifts, presses, etc. Every situation is different.
  • YOu can do a lot of body-weight training to get you started - squats, wall-sits or anything yoga related. That'd get you started down the road, then add weight as you feel like your body can take it. Give yourself at least a month to get back into the groove and you'll really start feeling better.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I am wondering where to focus for a hopeful return to competitive swimming after being away from the pool an entire year (from injuries). I have lost a lot of strength. (Female, age 60.) Weight workouts versus time in the pool? I am not sure how to proceed. I am swimming 3x/wk @ 2500 meters and that is going well. Thanks for any input. The one investment that I make in my swimming outside of basic training, is the support of a professional strength & conditioning coach. He isn't present at my sessions but sets up my plan and assesses progress from time to time. I'd thoroughly recommend it...