swimming and acid reflux

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I am writing a piece for the next issue of SWIMMER on acid reflux. We'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with the condition and any success in managing it. Also, health professionals with opinions on current treatments are welcome to weigh in. I'm happy to receive private messages, or you can post a reply here. Thanks for helping, Laura staffwriter@usms.org
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Hi, I have been having acid reflux for about 6 months now, and I believe it started when I started an aerobic class in an indoor pool. I switched to an outdoor pool when I heard that the chlorine might be affecting me. I got it there too, but with both pools I did not get the acid reflux immediately, about within 8-20 hours. I thought the fumes from the chlorine was affecting my respiratory system. So I started swimming laps, and I don't get it when I swim, but I don't swim fast or for no more than 20 min., so I think it's from the fumes, not the prone position, but I could be wrong. I'm still trying to figure it out. Today the pool was filled with try outs, so I decided to run in the pool where they don't do laps, my head above water for 20 min., and within 7 hours I had acid reflux again? So again it's steering me towards believing the fumes are getting in my airways, and causing it. Pepsid Complete and aloe vera juice seems to help the most. Anyone experiencing what I am? Any help would be appreciated!!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Hi, I have been having acid reflux for about 6 months now, and I believe it started when I started an aerobic class in an indoor pool. I switched to an outdoor pool when I heard that the chlorine might be affecting me. I got it there too, but with both pools I did not get the acid reflux immediately, about within 8-20 hours. I thought the fumes from the chlorine was affecting my respiratory system. So I started swimming laps, and I don't get it when I swim, but I don't swim fast or for no more than 20 min., so I think it's from the fumes, not the prone position, but I could be wrong. I'm still trying to figure it out. Today the pool was filled with try outs, so I decided to run in the pool where they don't do laps, my head above water for 20 min., and within 7 hours I had acid reflux again? So again it's steering me towards believing the fumes are getting in my airways, and causing it. Pepsid Complete and aloe vera juice seems to help the most. Anyone experiencing what I am? Any help would be appreciated!!
Children
No Data