swimming and acid reflux

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I am writing a piece for the next issue of SWIMMER on acid reflux. We'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with the condition and any success in managing it. Also, health professionals with opinions on current treatments are welcome to weigh in. I'm happy to receive private messages, or you can post a reply here. Thanks for helping, Laura staffwriter@usms.org
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    Foods/Drinks that are associated with acid reflux: Caffeine, citrus fruits, tomatoes, dairy products, alcohol, carbonated drinks Most popular drug therapy: Proton Pump Inhibitors & H2 Antagonists These inhibits parietal cells in the stomach from producing stomach acid (hydrochloric acid). While these are effective treatment in reducing Acid Reflux symptoms, they also reduce your ability to digest food and destroy food-borne pathogens before they get absorbed. They also can increase or decrease the function of other medication you may be taken. If you're taking prescription medication regularly or have any major health concerns you should talk to your doctor or pharmacist to make sure there are not contraindications before taking these. PPI ex. Prilosec (Omeprazole), very popular, available OTC or with Rx but not well metabolized by a large percentage pacific islanders and asians H2 ex. Zantac and Pepsid I've heard of some natural treatments including - Apples (contain an enzyme that promote digestion) - Almonds for immediate relief - Garlic, taken daily There are probably a lot more of these types of solutions (foods, herbs, teas, etc) out there too with more specific instructions. Maybe something to look into. I'm currently a pharmacy student. Best suggestion is talk to your doctor for the most viable solution if it is a significant problem.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    Foods/Drinks that are associated with acid reflux: Caffeine, citrus fruits, tomatoes, dairy products, alcohol, carbonated drinks Most popular drug therapy: Proton Pump Inhibitors & H2 Antagonists These inhibits parietal cells in the stomach from producing stomach acid (hydrochloric acid). While these are effective treatment in reducing Acid Reflux symptoms, they also reduce your ability to digest food and destroy food-borne pathogens before they get absorbed. They also can increase or decrease the function of other medication you may be taken. If you're taking prescription medication regularly or have any major health concerns you should talk to your doctor or pharmacist to make sure there are not contraindications before taking these. PPI ex. Prilosec (Omeprazole), very popular, available OTC or with Rx but not well metabolized by a large percentage pacific islanders and asians H2 ex. Zantac and Pepsid I've heard of some natural treatments including - Apples (contain an enzyme that promote digestion) - Almonds for immediate relief - Garlic, taken daily There are probably a lot more of these types of solutions (foods, herbs, teas, etc) out there too with more specific instructions. Maybe something to look into. I'm currently a pharmacy student. Best suggestion is talk to your doctor for the most viable solution if it is a significant problem.
Children
No Data