Need recommendation for keeping warm in a cold pool

I am a 68 year old triathlete who works out in our local university (UCSC) pool. I have Raynauds syndrome and very slender (5’4”,  105lbs). I freeze in our pool which is kept at about 80 degrees year round. I would love to find a 3 mil shorty wetsuit but can only find 1 and 2 mil. I do fine if the water temp is 83. Don’t want to leave this gorgeous 50 meter out door pool. Any suggestions greatly appreciated 

Parents
  • Someone other than me freezes in cold water! I have 5% body fat and approach hypothermia by the end of my training sessions which last 1 1/2 hrs. - 1 45 min. People erroneously believe the fallacy swimmers like cold water, no we don't. When In cold water my muscles get tight, I'm shivering, turning blue and not motivated. After stretching I stand on the pool deck starring at the pool delaying getting into ice cold water to train. I also run competitively and that's when you want cool temperatures so your body can expel heat. Being submerged in cold water pulls body heat from you 25% faster than air temp. and that increases when swimming longer and faster. The pool water temp. where I train is extremely cold! I have repeatedly asked the Club Mgr. to raise the thermostat, to no avail! The water temp. sensor was installed in the wrong location & records water temp. going into the pool not returning to the heating unit so there's 3 degree difference between the temp. the thermostat is set & the actual pool temp. The thermostat is set at 82 but the actual pool temp. is 79. Finally we have a Club Mgr. who (slightly) raised the thermostat so now the pool temp. is cold/edgy. Previously I was wearing a full 3mm wetsuit. If you are looking to get a wetsuit do an Internet Search for either  "wetsuit World" or "Wetsuit Warehouse" located in Hagerstown, MD, that's where I purchased my wetsuit. The problem with wearing a wetsuit too often is you loose the "feel" for the water and "feel" for stroke mechanics. I wouldn't drink any warm fluids while training because you'll be rushing to the bathroom between intervals. My suggestion is to Complain, Complain and Complain! Tell the Pool Mgr., or Facility Mgr.  your medical condition and request they raise the water a "mere" 2 degrees. If they don't, keep going to the "higher ups" i.e. Board of Directors until someone raises the temp. on the thermostat.  Remember, "Squeaky Wheel gets the Oil"! Before Covid hit, after training I would make a Bee Line straight to the Sauna to stretch and get my core temp. back up. I won't go into the Whirlpool because that is always full of people so after training I head straight to a hot shower to stretch.

• Someone other than me freezes in cold water! I have 5% body fat and approach hypothermia by the end of my training sessions which last 1 1/2 hrs. - 1 45 min. People erroneously believe the fallacy swimmers like cold water, no we don't. When In cold water my muscles get tight, I'm shivering, turning blue and not motivated. After stretching I stand on the pool deck starring at the pool delaying getting into ice cold water to train. I also run competitively and that's when you want cool temperatures so your body can expel heat. Being submerged in cold water pulls body heat from you 25% faster than air temp. and that increases when swimming longer and faster. The pool water temp. where I train is extremely cold! I have repeatedly asked the Club Mgr. to raise the thermostat, to no avail! The water temp. sensor was installed in the wrong location & records water temp. going into the pool not returning to the heating unit so there's 3 degree difference between the temp. the thermostat is set & the actual pool temp. The thermostat is set at 82 but the actual pool temp. is 79. Finally we have a Club Mgr. who (slightly) raised the thermostat so now the pool temp. is cold/edgy. Previously I was wearing a full 3mm wetsuit. If you are looking to get a wetsuit do an Internet Search for either  "wetsuit World" or "Wetsuit Warehouse" located in Hagerstown, MD, that's where I purchased my wetsuit. The problem with wearing a wetsuit too often is you loose the "feel" for the water and "feel" for stroke mechanics. I wouldn't drink any warm fluids while training because you'll be rushing to the bathroom between intervals. My suggestion is to Complain, Complain and Complain! Tell the Pool Mgr., or Facility Mgr.  your medical condition and request they raise the water a "mere" 2 degrees. If they don't, keep going to the "higher ups" i.e. Board of Directors until someone raises the temp. on the thermostat.  Remember, "Squeaky Wheel gets the Oil"! Before Covid hit, after training I would make a Bee Line straight to the Sauna to stretch and get my core temp. back up. I won't go into the Whirlpool because that is always full of people so after training I head straight to a hot shower to stretch.

Children
No Data