Time and strategy to get back "to form" after illness?

I'm struggling. Went to Mexico almost 3 weeks for a cousin's wedding. Got something. Had a fever the first 5 days, and other GI issues for a total of 10 days. Out of the water a bit over 2 weeks. Lost 9 pounds. It was pretty brutal. I think I actually missed the coffee more than beer or wine! Anyway, finally started recovering last Wednesday, and by Friday I was able to eat a normal meal. I'm still down a little weight, don't know how much is dehydration and how much is muscle/fat mass. Anyway, tried to do a workout yesterday. It was pretty tough. Hackett set, added 5 seconds to each rep (50's). Was able to slog through it, but my stroke count was WAY up, 15-16 and I'm usually 11-12 for this set. Tried again this morning, with strokes in IM order. Ugh. Free was better, but as soon as I did a 50 of fly, it killed me. Cut the set short because I was just plain exhausted. And my fly anyway was horrendous (back and *** were okay). So has anyone dealt with a prolonged virus or other sickness like the flu or whatever that had you down and out for a long period of time? How did you get back into things? There is a new Masters program near me I may go check out (will still be primarily solo swimming), but I don't really want to go until I'm somewhat back in shape. Should I stop doing intervals, and just do some longer, slower paced swims? Should I give it more time? Should I try to do what I did Monday, keep the same distance, but add some extra rest time between reps? Anything diet-wise? I've been just trying to eat a lot in general to get my weight back. Yesterday I added a good deal more protein. Think I may do that, again today.
Parents
  • 67 King

it seems to me that you are looking to get back in the water very quickly. there is nothing wrong with that but considering everythign you mentioned above, you might want to take it easy. especially if you had a GI, which can weaken you and your immune system. the more intervals you do, the more stress you are going to create for you body and the longer you are going to take to heal and even longer to get in shape. shape is also a big word to live up to, as longer as you are moving, agile, and healthy, youre in shape. try to take it easy, and swim at 65% for 40 minutes, it might do you good. as for your GI, try to find healthy bacteria to replenish your gut flora. 

my name is Joey, i swam for team usa and now i work with master athletes in regards to physical fitness and nutrition, if you are interested in learning more, send me a message. Hope all is well. 

• 67 King

it seems to me that you are looking to get back in the water very quickly. there is nothing wrong with that but considering everythign you mentioned above, you might want to take it easy. especially if you had a GI, which can weaken you and your immune system. the more intervals you do, the more stress you are going to create for you body and the longer you are going to take to heal and even longer to get in shape. shape is also a big word to live up to, as longer as you are moving, agile, and healthy, youre in shape. try to take it easy, and swim at 65% for 40 minutes, it might do you good. as for your GI, try to find healthy bacteria to replenish your gut flora. 

my name is Joey, i swam for team usa and now i work with master athletes in regards to physical fitness and nutrition, if you are interested in learning more, send me a message. Hope all is well. 

Children
No Data