Swimming competitions make me anxious and sad

Former Member
Former Member
Hi everyone, Well the title above is kind of the gist of what this post will be about. I am starting my fourth season as master swimmer and am a bit sad about my attitude and feelings towards swimming competitions. I get very nervous before competitions. Vomiting or gagging frequently accompany me on days where I have competitions. I have been doing competitions now for the past two years and unfortunatly I don't feel as if it is getting any better. I understand that some nervouseness is normal, and in fact functional, but my anxiety feels like it is far from it. It is struggle to actually go to the competition and by the time I get there, I already feel mentally tired. I swim, but I don't feel like I can really give my all. I have tried getting myself to enjoy competitions but lately I have started playing with the idea that maybe these competitions are simply not worth it for me. And that is fine. Can anyone relate? QuitarQueen
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    There are a variety of relaxation exercises, perhaps you could find one - or several - that you find useful. Some are pretty fluffy "be at one with all life" and some down-to-earth " As you exhale, relax your jaw muscles." I like Eric Harrison's "Three sighs" (about halfway down the page in this link) spiritualityhealth.com/.../miraculous-sigh It sound to me like that could be helpful to you, but that you also need something more. When I was working in stressful operating rooms, and going to graduate school, a psychologist made me a relaxation tape that helped me sleep. It systematically focused on muscle groups and relaxing them (which might not be exactly what you want before a meet.) I guessing that there might be commercially available recording designed to help relax and prep for an athletic event. I think you could probably get a coach or sports psychologist to make one specially for you. Maybe to listen to the morning of the event or perhaps in your car before entering the venue. And then use the "three sighs" a bunch of times throughout the event. Also do you have a swim buddy that also does events? For some people just being with a friend who knows about this can be helpful. I've heard it said that "anxiety is excitement without enough oxygen." Sometimes reminding yourself that you are excited and taking a deep breath can help. And as Patrick suggests, you might find that some other kind of event - maybe the more meditative practice of open water swimming -is more for you Good luck and please let us know what you do.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    There are a variety of relaxation exercises, perhaps you could find one - or several - that you find useful. Some are pretty fluffy "be at one with all life" and some down-to-earth " As you exhale, relax your jaw muscles." I like Eric Harrison's "Three sighs" (about halfway down the page in this link) spiritualityhealth.com/.../miraculous-sigh It sound to me like that could be helpful to you, but that you also need something more. When I was working in stressful operating rooms, and going to graduate school, a psychologist made me a relaxation tape that helped me sleep. It systematically focused on muscle groups and relaxing them (which might not be exactly what you want before a meet.) I guessing that there might be commercially available recording designed to help relax and prep for an athletic event. I think you could probably get a coach or sports psychologist to make one specially for you. Maybe to listen to the morning of the event or perhaps in your car before entering the venue. And then use the "three sighs" a bunch of times throughout the event. Also do you have a swim buddy that also does events? For some people just being with a friend who knows about this can be helpful. I've heard it said that "anxiety is excitement without enough oxygen." Sometimes reminding yourself that you are excited and taking a deep breath can help. And as Patrick suggests, you might find that some other kind of event - maybe the more meditative practice of open water swimming -is more for you Good luck and please let us know what you do.
Children
No Data