Carpal tunnel? How to swim wiht it?

Arg, this Summer has been a disaster. Always something, and nohting expected. Miss 2 weeks, try to get back in and am lucky to get 3 or 4 days in a week and the next unexpected thing comes. Anyway, so I wasn't able to do anything this past week, and was going to try to do something this week. Body has other plans. Have developed carpal tunnel from a home project (rennovating/changing a deck). So I tried to swim this morning, and it aggravated it. Want to try again tomorrow. At this point, I just bought some tape - unfortunately it is the kinesio stuff as that is what was water proof. But it likely won't stabilize my wrist. Anyone else deal with tihs? If so, how did you successfully manage it and still swim? Wearing a splint most of the day, and a different one at night. But dont have a better plan for swimming right now.
  • Okay, tape helped a little, but didnt stay. Really dont want to have to stop yet again if I can avoid it
  • are you able to get a soft hand brace that you can use to keep your wrist supported? I think Walgreens has them. You may want to try one that is soft/flexible, then if that doesn't work, try one with firmer, hardware support. If it gets bad enough, could you get a steroid shot to help ease the inflammation to let it heal?
  • are you able to get a soft hand brace that you can use to keep your wrist supported? I think Walgreens has them. You may want to try one that is soft/flexible, then if that doesn't work, try one with firmer, hardware support. If it gets bad enough, could you get a steroid shot to help ease the inflammation to let it heal? I had looked in 3 different places. COuldn't find the type of support I used to see when I had this happen once before about 10 years ago. ALl of the wrist supports had hard inserts in them. There was one nylon glove with a band around the wrist that wouldn't really give any wrist support. At any rate, this condition was brought on by a one time thing, it isn't something I have to deal with. I've not been able to get in the pool the past couple of days, and the symptoms are improving. So I probably will be fine by the time I'm able to get back in, unfortunately that looks like Tuesday of next week :-(
  • I sympathize! I had carpal tunnel in 2016 (and trigger finger in 2014). Both brought on by home improvement projects, I think. The carpal tunnel made it hard to swim because my hand would go tingly, and by :30 of swimming, numb. Resting and splitting, a steroid shot and regular PT didn't help. What cured them both was Sound Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (SASTM). I went to a chiropractor who also did acupuncture, hoping to avoid surgery, but he said this worked better. The technique is similar to foam rolling in concept. A blunt tool is scraped along the skin above the thickened or scarred connective tissue, breaking it down. It's done a little at a time (less than 5 minutes). The "scraping" can be moderately painful. But it works. I went in 2-3 times/week for a total of 10-12 visits. I did wear a brace in between visits, especially at night. And I swam during the treatment period. Here's a website with some info and a directory of practitioners (including some Pro sports teams and universities). https://www.sastm.com/ The Graston Technique is the same thing, with slightly different tools. I hope yours heals on its own, but if it doesn't I definitely recommend trying this, especially before surgery.
  • Probably not what you want to hear, but after fighting it for a couple of years in my left hand, I ended up having surgery. It fixed it an no problems since. My problem now is that I've developed Dupuytren's Contracture in my right hand. Not too bad yet, and swimming actually seems to help it.
  • I had surgery on both wrists and elbows about 8 years ago, and I waited too long (3-1/2 years). Now I have residual pain, no more numbness, but there is pain, in my left elbow, where it all started. I used to wear elastic sleeves, and cocked wrist splints while I swam. Hand paddles kind of helped, but I had to shake my hands out a lot while swimming. The biggest trick is to wear your brace(s) while you sleep, and then you probably won’t notice it as much in the water. Don’t delay the surgery, and then when you recover, avoid aggravating your wrists again.