what to drink during longer practice

Hi, I notice that I tend to get headaches after intense, longer swim practices, even though I feel fine during the practice. I drink plenty of water before and during practice but still get the headaches. I also noticed that I tend not to get the headaches when I have some sports drink mixed with water during the swim. So I'm thinking the headache is connected with a drop in blood sugar. I have been using Gatorade, but I don't like that it is so high in sugar, so I'd like to find a better option -- either something I could buy or make myself. Any suggestions? Here are my criteria: Low in sugar but not with artificial sweetener, including xylitol (which gives me digestive issues) Not loaded with excessive vitamins or strange ingredients Not expensive No caffeine Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  • I don't get headaches, but toe, foot, or calf cramps after an hour or more. My solution probably violates your strange ingredient dictum but here goes. I drink pickle juice. It costs about $10 a gallon but I water it down a bit so a jug lasts a couple months.
  • I don't get headaches, but toe, foot, or calf cramps after an hour or more. My solution probably violates your strange ingredient dictum but here goes. I drink pickle juice. It costs about $10 a gallon but I water it down a bit so a jug lasts a couple months. Thanks for the smile! By "strange ingredients," I was thinking of sketchy ingredients that promise to change your body or enhance your performance -- but I'd put pickle juice in a different subcategory of "strange ingredients" because the smell of it would probably make me feel queasy during practice :) I've tried watered-down orange juice, which isn't bad, but then all my teammates tease me about having mimosas during practice (:
  • what is the temperature of the water and actually the ambient temp as well? But you might want to consider sodium in your hydration routine. Everyone sweats out sodium at different levels, and the more you lose the less water your muscles retain. It is a function of carbs as well. If you naturally lose more sodium in your sweat than most people then you might want to add a bit of sodium to your pre-swim hydration.
  • I have been using Gatorade, but I don't like that it is so high in sugar Actually you SHOULD like it. That sugar will provide energy during your workout. Personally I prefer to mix regular Gatorade with water to drink when I'm workout out, though.
  • You might want to try a product called "Scratch" that cyclists use - its much "lighter" than Gatorade (even cut 50-50) and comes as a powder for mixing into your water bottle. Its low carb and contains electrolytes. There are various flavors too - lemon-lime is great and so is the green tea. You can probably get it on the web or call around to a few local cycle shops.
  • what is the temperature of the water and actually the ambient temp as well? But you might want to consider sodium in your hydration routine. Everyone sweats out sodium at different levels, and the more you lose the less water your muscles retain. It is a function of carbs as well. If you naturally lose more sodium in your sweat than most people then you might want to add a bit of sodium to your pre-swim hydration. Do you think that the pool water and air might be too hot? I didn't check the temp but come to think of it, it did feel a little warm.
  • Do you think that the pool water and air might be too hot? I didn't check the temp but come to think of it, it did feel a little warm. I would bet on it. Most aquatic facilities are catering to people doing aqua classes. You should always check the temperatures. I am an ice swimmer, and cold water swimmer, so checking the air and water temp is the first thing I do. Whether it is in a pool or the ocean. But the intensity and type of workout should be adjusted for the conditions. And both temperatures matter.. water and air. The difference in water temp might be small,, but there is a huge difference to your body swimming in water temperatures at 83-85.. versus 80-78.. and that is not even factoring in the air temp.
  • Hi, I notice that I tend to get headaches after intense, longer swim practices, even though I feel fine during the practice. I drink plenty of water before and during practice but still get the headaches. I also noticed that I tend not to get the headaches when I have some sports drink mixed with water during the swim. So I'm thinking the headache is connected with a drop in blood sugar. If you don't bonk during practice and you eat after practice, low blood sugar probably is not your culprit. Dehydration, or electrolyte imbalance because of over-hydration without salt, is more likely. For an early morning one-hour workout I usually just drink coffee before the workout and a little water during it. For a longer, tougher workout or for a long OW swim I use a low- or no-sugar electrolyte drink to avoid calf cramps late in the swim or a headache later. I like the Hammer Fizz electrolyte tablets, but the nuun tablets also work and taste fine.
  • I've used a product called UCan in the past for long swims/races and it works well in keeping the blood sugar levels very steady and even. I think you can get it in single serving packets to try out before you do a canister of the stuff. It's a little chalky, but it works well - no bonking or sugar waves.