Long distance All-star award rule change?

I would like to propose a change in rules for the small number of us that chase long distance all-star award. I believe current criteria are 3 total event minimum and one open water and one postal is required. We are now 0 for 2 on open water races this year.  Del Valle originally scheduled in June with one open water championships was moved rather last minute to August due to ?algae. I was half-way to today's race in Cleveland when it was cancelled due to the 18mph winds and 3-4 ft waves projected.  It does seem that despite great expense to us idiots traveling and the threshold for cancelling, their inclusion as an absolute requirement for all-star award seems unfair.

Parents Reply Children
  • Ah "snarky" response?!  I think you've come to the right place. Well, perhaps change the rules so it's at least possible.  I've made and cancelled at least 5 travel reservations in 2020 for various swim events which were subsequently cancelled (I think we can now say outside would have been the best place to be, but understandable given circumstances). Eventually, there was no declared winner for any division for long distance all-star.  Moving to 2021, my point (if you had read my post) would be that we are now 0 for 3 in holding open water championships making it again (so far) impossible for anybody to even compete for a win again this year. Use a 1650 time, 5 event minimum but can be all postal, eliminate award all together...something!

As an aside, I was going to delete the thread after I wrote it as I know nobody cares about this (except like 3 people) or my whining, but I have no idea how to do that (seemed easier on old forums).  Also, in a hundred years of USMS membership (I'm gonna get award for that, I think), I've also never figured out how to ask questions or make suggestions to the great and powerful OZ that makes decisions without putting it on forum.  Believe me ForceDJ, I have great ideas and I'm absolutely positive USMS wants to hear every one of them!

• I do not know all the details of the forecasted or actual weather in Cleveland, but this is always a tough decision for event directors and safety is paramount.

To clarify, the Del Valle Open Water Festival includes 1.2K, 2.5K, and 5K races, but only the 5K is designated as a championship for 2022 (the USMS Long-Distance Open Water National Championship). That event was postponed to August 27, not cancelled. And three additional Open Water National Championships are scheduled for this year (July 31 in Santa Cruz, August 13 in Lake Placid, and August 20 in Lake George).

My understanding is that changing the All-Star criteria would be a Long Distance Committee decision and that they plan to discuss this topic. Not sure what will be decided in this case based on one cancellation, but they have already made some changes to awards based on circumstances over the past few years. To receive the Virtual Championships Series Challenge patch, only three of the five distance must be completed for 2022.

The email to reach the Long Distance Committee chair is longdistance@usmastersswimming.org. Also, feel free to reach out to events@usmastersswimming.org with event questions or membership@usmastersswimming.org with membership/general questions and we’ll respond accordingly or at least get you to the right person.  

• Thanks so much for the reply.