2018 Summer Long Course Masters UANA Pan American

So, my 2017 Summer Nationals performance was OK, but left room for improvement and I'm thinking about planning to start training for 2018 Long Course Summer Nationals. Oops, there is no USMS Summer Nationals in 2018, in deference to the UANA Pan American Masters Championships. I cannot find any information about if we can participate, how one qualifies, if we have to join UANA, etc., etc. I've checked the UANA site, the Orlando YMCA site, USMS site with no luck. Does anyone have any information about the event and whether those of us who were expecting a USMS Summer Nationals can plan to swim at the UANA Championships?
  • Not yet but if you're USMS registered, don't fret. You'll be covered. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk
  • For more information, see USMS website Events/National Championships with dates for the Pan Am's and a link with info to date. Here's a copy but links available from website...not my copy here... 2018 U.S. Masters Swimming Summer National Championship The 2018 Summer Nationals will not be contested in favor of supporting the 2018 UANA Pan American Masters Championship in Orlando 2018 UANA Pan American Masters Championship YMCA Aquatic Center, Orlando, Florida July 28 - August 3, 2018 Long Course Meters
  • Thank you, sarahwelch and jimclemmons. I appreciate your input and will try to be patient. The Long Course Nationals are a major event in my annual schedule and I will be anxiously awaiting further information from USMS. I can understand that UANA is still getting organized and it is a long time until that meet, but I would have expected that if USMS decided not to hold a Summer Nationals in deference to UANA's otherwise nearly concurrent meet, they would also have prepared a statement or policy that explains how that decision affects their expectant USMS national long-course swimmers.
  • Thank you, sarahwelch and jimclemmons. I appreciate your input and will try to be patient. The Long Course Nationals are a major event in my annual schedule and I will be anxiously awaiting further information from USMS. I can understand that UANA is still getting organized and it is a long time until that meet, but I would have expected that if USMS decided not to hold a Summer Nationals in deference to UANA's otherwise nearly concurrent meet, they would also have prepared a statement or policy that explains how that decision affects their expectant USMS national long-course swimmers.Well, I believe the statement you're referring to was generated by USMS as follows: "The 2018 Summer Nationals will not be contested in favor of supporting the 2018 UANA Pan American Masters Championship in Orlando." Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk
  • I mean no disrespect, Jim. Clearly I've failed to articulate my questions well. Do USMS swimmers need to join UANA in order to participate, or is there reciprocal membership recognition? Is there a U.S. team, or do swimmers compete as individuals? It may be that there is no USMS connection at all with the UANA meet and that we swimmers simply participate as individuals within the Pan American swimming community, according to their as-yet-undefined qualification and entry requirements. Thank you for your patience.
  • No worries. Your USMS membership will allow participation without having to join another organization. I believe that is due to USMS being a member of UANA. You'll participate as a member of your current team (think relays, if you belong to one) otherwise as an unattached USA swimmer (no relays). Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk
  • there is however 1 small problem. the usms rules clearly state that a summer nationals must be held: 104.1 Meet Categories USMS national championship meets shall be awarded in the following categories and held during the following dates 104.1.2 Long Course (50) Meters— Between August 1 and September 15. With the approval of the Championship Committee, other dates may be considered
  • there is however 1 small problem. the usms rules clearly state that a summer nationals must be held: 104.1 Meet Categories USMS national championship meets shall be awarded in the following categories and held during the following dates 104.1.2 Long Course (50) Meters— Between August 1 and September 15. With the approval of the Championship Committee, other dates may be considered Hi Steve, Which one small problem are you referring to?
  • there is however 1 small problem. the usms rules clearly state that a summer nationals must be held: 104.1 Meet Categories USMS national championship meets shall be awarded in the following categories and held during the following dates 104.1.2 Long Course (50) Meters— Between August 1 and September 15. With the approval of the Championship Committee, other dates may be considered Steve, Article 506.3.10 gives the emergency power to suspend any swimming rule in Part One to the Board of Directors provided that the Board, with the advice and consent of the Rules Committee for part one rules, determines that immediate action is required to serve the interests of USMS. The USMS Rules committee had a conference call on May 7 and voted to provide consent to suspend the rule and put the matter in the hands of the USMS BOD. Please consult with a member of the Rules committee to verify everything was done properly...:bolt:
  • Steve, Article 506.3.10 gives the emergency power to suspend any swimming rule in Part One to the Board of Directors provided that the Board, with the advice and consent of the Rules Committee for part one rules, determines that immediate action is required to serve the interests of USMS. The USMS Rules committee had a conference call on May 7 and voted to provide consent to suspend the rule and put the matter in the hands of the USMS BOD. Please consult with a member of the Rules committee to verify everything was done properly...:bolt: There is also precedent for not having a Summer Nats: In 2006, there wasn't one because Worlds took place in San Francisco.