Adult Onset Swimmer Qualifying for Nats

There is a person that I know who qualified for and will be competing at 2015 Spring Nationals next month (in 50 fly). This person did not swim as a child but came to swimming in their late 30s. Their first swim meet was at age 40. Is anyone aware of others who came to swimming in middle age and have been able to qualify for Nats? We're having a fun discussion about how common this is. We believe that there might be in some distance freestyle events given the popularity of triathlons. But suspect its less likely in stroke events. Anyone know of anyone? Thank you.
Parents
  • There is a person that I know who qualified for and will be competing at 2015 Spring Nationals next month (in 50 fly). This person did not swim as a child but came to swimming in their late 30s. Their first swim meet was at age 40. Is anyone aware of others who came to swimming in middle age and have been able to qualify for Nats? We're having a fun discussion about how common this is. We believe that there might be in some distance freestyle events given the popularity of triathlons. But suspect its less likely in stroke events. Anyone know of anyone? Thank you. Before returning to swimming in 2010, my only competitive swimming experience was in high school. My coach was a P.E. teacher who didn't know how to swim and got stuck with the swim team. I learned breaststroke by watching the girl in front of me in my lane. She was the only other breaststroke competitor at my school. I joined Masters in 2010 when I was 48 years old and made NQT's in the 50 Breaststroke when SC Nationals were in Mesa (2011). I made them again in all three breaststroke events when LC Nationals were in Mission Viejo in 2013. I had hip surgery in December and just started kicking again last week, so I'm probably looking at aging up before I have any possibility of making NQT's again-- if ever. I'm still not sure about returning to competitive breaststroke again, because of the amount of training I would need to do in breaststroke to qualify.
  • There is a person that I know who qualified for and will be competing at 2015 Spring Nationals next month (in 50 fly). This person did not swim as a child but came to swimming in their late 30s. Their first swim meet was at age 40. Is anyone aware of others who came to swimming in middle age and have been able to qualify for Nats? We're having a fun discussion about how common this is. We believe that there might be in some distance freestyle events given the popularity of triathlons. But suspect its less likely in stroke events. Anyone know of anyone? Thank you. Before returning to swimming in 2010, my only competitive swimming experience was in high school. My coach was a P.E. teacher who didn't know how to swim and got stuck with the swim team. I learned breaststroke by watching the girl in front of me in my lane. She was the only other breaststroke competitor at my school. I joined Masters in 2010 when I was 48 years old and made NQT's in the 50 Breaststroke when SC Nationals were in Mesa (2011). I made them again in all three breaststroke events when LC Nationals were in Mission Viejo in 2013. I had hip surgery in December and just started kicking again last week, so I'm probably looking at aging up before I have any possibility of making NQT's again-- if ever. I'm still not sure about returning to competitive breaststroke again, because of the amount of training I would need to do in breaststroke to qualify.
Children
No Data