How many swimmers go to Nationals who *don't* meet the NQTs?

Hi everyone. I'm a slow fitness swimmer who hasn't competed since I was 14, but I'd like to start participating just because it looks fun. I understand that anyone *can* swim up to 3 events at Nationals, but do non-qualifiers take advantage of that? What proportion of heats 'd like to go, but don't want to slow everyone else down.
Parents
  • Nice! Give So Cal a BIG :smooch: for me! It was interesting to see the range of competitors at Worlds in Montreal. There were many swimmers who were not close to placing in their AGs but who went to Montreal for the experience. It seemed to me, and I did not crunch any numbers that there were a much larger percentage of the meet who were swimming for the experience, not hoping to place, than at most USMS Nationals. I don't know why that is but it was good to see.
  • Nice! Give So Cal a BIG :smooch: for me! It was interesting to see the range of competitors at Worlds in Montreal. There were many swimmers who were not close to placing in their AGs but who went to Montreal for the experience. It seemed to me, and I did not crunch any numbers that there were a much larger percentage of the meet who were swimming for the experience, not hoping to place, than at most USMS Nationals. I don't know why that is but it was good to see.
Children
No Data