How many swimmers go to Nationals who *don't* meet the NQTs?

Hi everyone. I'm a slow fitness swimmer who hasn't competed since I was 14, but I'd like to start participating just because it looks fun. I understand that anyone *can* swim up to 3 events at Nationals, but do non-qualifiers take advantage of that? What proportion of heats 'd like to go, but don't want to slow everyone else down.
Parents
  • Glad to see this mentioned. One of the (in my mind) best aspects about almost all levels of competitive swimming is that everyone in a heat can be happy with their swim. My forum picture is from the end of a 100 free where the person in the lane next to me went over 3 seconds faster than I did. But I was so happy with the time it didn't matter at all. EXACTLY! I will be swimming my worst event at Worlds and Nationals (200 fly), because I love it. I'm good with endurance fly (2,000 rather than 200), but I am very slow. (I'm seeded 33rd of 34 at Worlds, just to give you an idea.) I've been working hard on it, though, so I just hope to improve my time. It's a great feeling when that happens, even when you get slaughtered by the competition! :agree: This past Saturday, a gal beat me out for a gold medal in the 3K at the Georgia Games by about three minutes. I couldn't have been happier with that silver, because I took 11 minutes off my time from 2012 when I swam an open water race for the first time. I've only done a few open water races since then; but, my sighting and endurance has gotten much better. I'm still on a cloud after winning silver! :D Where in So Cal are you from? I was born and raised in Long Beach and lived in San Diego for most of my life. My family is still in L.B. and L.A.
  • Glad to see this mentioned. One of the (in my mind) best aspects about almost all levels of competitive swimming is that everyone in a heat can be happy with their swim. My forum picture is from the end of a 100 free where the person in the lane next to me went over 3 seconds faster than I did. But I was so happy with the time it didn't matter at all. EXACTLY! I will be swimming my worst event at Worlds and Nationals (200 fly), because I love it. I'm good with endurance fly (2,000 rather than 200), but I am very slow. (I'm seeded 33rd of 34 at Worlds, just to give you an idea.) I've been working hard on it, though, so I just hope to improve my time. It's a great feeling when that happens, even when you get slaughtered by the competition! :agree: This past Saturday, a gal beat me out for a gold medal in the 3K at the Georgia Games by about three minutes. I couldn't have been happier with that silver, because I took 11 minutes off my time from 2012 when I swam an open water race for the first time. I've only done a few open water races since then; but, my sighting and endurance has gotten much better. I'm still on a cloud after winning silver! :D Where in So Cal are you from? I was born and raised in Long Beach and lived in San Diego for most of my life. My family is still in L.B. and L.A.
Children
No Data