How many swimmers go to Nationals who *don't* meet the NQTs?

Hi everyone. I'm a slow fitness swimmer who hasn't competed since I was 14, but I'd like to start participating just because it looks fun. I understand that anyone *can* swim up to 3 events at Nationals, but do non-qualifiers take advantage of that? What proportion of heats 'd like to go, but don't want to slow everyone else down.
Parents
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 10 years ago
    KRA GOOD FOR YOU !!!!! What you have done for yourself is a really good thing. And the step up to try Nationals is to be applauded !! This is why wining is a part of our sport but not the only thing that brings new - old into it for starters or to return to competition. I got a man like ypou at 335 to start swimming years ago & he does the 2000 fly at state Not fast but he gives it all he has. Thanks for your kind words. During this process, I've had a couple people in my life who, like you, have provided crucial support and encouragement. It's not easy to be the one nudging someone you care about back toward a life of fitness, but it's an incredible gift. Santa Clara was fantastic, although I did hold up my 200 Back heat by about 20 seconds. I doubt anyone cared; my seed time was legit and I popped out of the pool as soon as the lactic acid allowed. I nailed my taper, dropping over a minute to 12:03 in the 1,000 Free. At this rate, I may be able to compete with some of these awesome, inspiring guys in my age group as early as August Nationals. Even if I'm not quite there by that time, I still feel like I belong and I still feel like USMS swimmers are overwhelmingly accepting of differences in competence -- it's a real stength of USMS and it's a big reason why I've been able to keep hammering away at this audacious project.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 10 years ago
    KRA GOOD FOR YOU !!!!! What you have done for yourself is a really good thing. And the step up to try Nationals is to be applauded !! This is why wining is a part of our sport but not the only thing that brings new - old into it for starters or to return to competition. I got a man like ypou at 335 to start swimming years ago & he does the 2000 fly at state Not fast but he gives it all he has. Thanks for your kind words. During this process, I've had a couple people in my life who, like you, have provided crucial support and encouragement. It's not easy to be the one nudging someone you care about back toward a life of fitness, but it's an incredible gift. Santa Clara was fantastic, although I did hold up my 200 Back heat by about 20 seconds. I doubt anyone cared; my seed time was legit and I popped out of the pool as soon as the lactic acid allowed. I nailed my taper, dropping over a minute to 12:03 in the 1,000 Free. At this rate, I may be able to compete with some of these awesome, inspiring guys in my age group as early as August Nationals. Even if I'm not quite there by that time, I still feel like I belong and I still feel like USMS swimmers are overwhelmingly accepting of differences in competence -- it's a real stength of USMS and it's a big reason why I've been able to keep hammering away at this audacious project.
Children
No Data