How many swimmers go to Nationals who *don't* meet the NQTs?

Hi everyone. I'm a slow fitness swimmer who hasn't competed since I was 14, but I'd like to start participating just because it looks fun. I understand that anyone *can* swim up to 3 events at Nationals, but do non-qualifiers take advantage of that? What proportion of heats 'd like to go, but don't want to slow everyone else down.
Parents
  • I've only swum at 1 USMS nationals, I think it was back in 2003 (when it was at ASU in Tempe, AZ). The only thing I remember about the meet was that after my 2nd event, I went in the warm-up/down pool, and another guy asked how I did. After I told him my time, he said, "it is people like you who make these meets last so long." Mind you, along with swimming, since my team was hosting the meet I had been helping with timing and other volunteer activities, while still working. I scratched my 3rd event (the 500 free) the next day, and didn't swim in any USMS meets for several years after that. When nationals returned to AZ a few years ago, I purposely planned a trip out of town so I wouldn't have any reason to go near it. I do occasionally swim in some mostly smaller meets, as well as some zone meets, and I enjoy the positive attitude and energy I encounter at open water events. While the rules do allow it, and some people say that no one will say anything, what actually happens at USMS nationals is a whole different story.
  • I've only swum at 1 USMS nationals, I think it was back in 2003 (when it was at ASU in Tempe, AZ). The only thing I remember about the meet was that after my 2nd event, I went in the warm-up/down pool, and another guy asked how I did. After I told him my time, he said, "it is people like you who make these meets last so long." Mind you, along with swimming, since my team was hosting the meet I had been helping with timing and other volunteer activities, while still working. I scratched my 3rd event (the 500 free) the next day, and didn't swim in any USMS meets for several years after that. When nationals returned to AZ a few years ago, I purposely planned a trip out of town so I wouldn't have any reason to go near it. I do occasionally swim in some mostly smaller meets, as well as some zone meets, and I enjoy the positive attitude and energy I encounter at open water events. While the rules do allow it, and some people say that no one will say anything, what actually happens at USMS nationals is a whole different story.
Children
No Data