How many swimmers go to Nationals who *don't* meet the NQTs?

Hi everyone. I'm a slow fitness swimmer who hasn't competed since I was 14, but I'd like to start participating just because it looks fun. I understand that anyone *can* swim up to 3 events at Nationals, but do non-qualifiers take advantage of that? What proportion of heats 'd like to go, but don't want to slow everyone else down.
Parents
  • Hi everyone. I'm a slow fitness swimmer who hasn't competed since I was 14, but I'd like to start participating just because it looks fun. I understand that anyone *can* swim up to 3 events at Nationals, but do non-qualifiers take advantage of that? What proportion of heats 'd like to go, but don't want to slow everyone else down. I don't have quick statistics at my fingers to tell you how many swimmers are entered in the various events above/below the qualifying times, but I can at least give some quick statistics about the number of events each swimmer has entered at the upcoming Nationals in Santa Clara. There are nearly 2250 swimmers entered in the meet and the average is 4.2 events per swimmer. Here is a rough breakdown by the number of events entered per swimmer: 1 event: 5% 2 events: 11% 3 events: 25% 4 events: 11% 5 events: 13% 6 events: 34% Although just because a swimmer enters three (or less) events doesn't mean it is a non-NQT swimmer. A swimmer on my club who often sets USMS records rarely enters more than 3 individual events. But we can at least draw the conclusion that anybody entering 4 of more events meets at least 1 qualifying time and 1/3 of the meet entrants meet at least three qualifying times. I say it doesn't really matter how many swimmers don't make the qualifying times. The reason swimmers are permitted to enter up to three events without meeting the qualifying times* is because WE WANT YOU TO PARTICIPATE AND BE A PART OF THE MASTERS NATIONALS EXPERIENCE! Jeff Roddin USMS Championship Committee * Note some Nationals have qualifying time restrictions on the distance events
  • Hi everyone. I'm a slow fitness swimmer who hasn't competed since I was 14, but I'd like to start participating just because it looks fun. I understand that anyone *can* swim up to 3 events at Nationals, but do non-qualifiers take advantage of that? What proportion of heats 'd like to go, but don't want to slow everyone else down. I don't have quick statistics at my fingers to tell you how many swimmers are entered in the various events above/below the qualifying times, but I can at least give some quick statistics about the number of events each swimmer has entered at the upcoming Nationals in Santa Clara. There are nearly 2250 swimmers entered in the meet and the average is 4.2 events per swimmer. Here is a rough breakdown by the number of events entered per swimmer: 1 event: 5% 2 events: 11% 3 events: 25% 4 events: 11% 5 events: 13% 6 events: 34% Although just because a swimmer enters three (or less) events doesn't mean it is a non-NQT swimmer. A swimmer on my club who often sets USMS records rarely enters more than 3 individual events. But we can at least draw the conclusion that anybody entering 4 of more events meets at least 1 qualifying time and 1/3 of the meet entrants meet at least three qualifying times. I say it doesn't really matter how many swimmers don't make the qualifying times. The reason swimmers are permitted to enter up to three events without meeting the qualifying times* is because WE WANT YOU TO PARTICIPATE AND BE A PART OF THE MASTERS NATIONALS EXPERIENCE! Jeff Roddin USMS Championship Committee * Note some Nationals have qualifying time restrictions on the distance events
Children
No Data