Swimming against your competion

I am not usually one to complain about swim meets, since I appreciate all the hard work that goes in to putting one on.... And I fully understand that this is the largest LCM Nationals in the history of Masters Swimming.... But really... Not being able to swim against your competition in the 200's??? This is not a local meet. This is the Nationals. The ONLY time I get to swim against my own age group. There needs to be a better solution.
Parents
  • For the National Championships, yes I think nonqualified events should be dropped before qualified events (i.e. a qualified 6th event). There can be 'free' events if there is low participation at Nationals but not at the largest event in the history of the sport. I think it diminishes the spirit of a National Championship when the focus is on participation. Then, you definitely don't want to see me when I "race" the 400 IM and 200 Fly in Mission Viejo! :afraid: Fortunately for you, my 6th event (1500) got cut! :censor: I hear what your saying, but on a purely selfish note, I know, it was very exciting for me to finally make NQT's in my breaststroke events, so I could qualify to swim six events. :bliss: (The downside, however, is my inability to hit those NQT's, at the moment, due to recovering from injuries that messed up my training. :badday: ) The spirit of a National Championship may be diminished, in your opinion, when the focus is on paricipation, however, the spirit of USMS is inclusiveness. USMS is all about not being an elitist organization or they would not invite fitness swimmers to participate. If I had sensed USMS was not inclusive, I would not have joined. And, my guess is there are many swimmers out there who feel the same way.
  • For the National Championships, yes I think nonqualified events should be dropped before qualified events (i.e. a qualified 6th event). There can be 'free' events if there is low participation at Nationals but not at the largest event in the history of the sport. I think it diminishes the spirit of a National Championship when the focus is on participation. Then, you definitely don't want to see me when I "race" the 400 IM and 200 Fly in Mission Viejo! :afraid: Fortunately for you, my 6th event (1500) got cut! :censor: I hear what your saying, but on a purely selfish note, I know, it was very exciting for me to finally make NQT's in my breaststroke events, so I could qualify to swim six events. :bliss: (The downside, however, is my inability to hit those NQT's, at the moment, due to recovering from injuries that messed up my training. :badday: ) The spirit of a National Championship may be diminished, in your opinion, when the focus is on paricipation, however, the spirit of USMS is inclusiveness. USMS is all about not being an elitist organization or they would not invite fitness swimmers to participate. If I had sensed USMS was not inclusive, I would not have joined. And, my guess is there are many swimmers out there who feel the same way.
Children
No Data