Nationals - 2014 & 2015 dates

Every now and then I have been asked about dates for future USMS Nationals. Here are the dates for the meets currently on the calendar: May 1-4, 2014 Spring Nationals: Santa Clara, CA August 13-17, 2014 Summer Nationals: University of Maryland College Park April 23-26, 2015 Spring Nationals: San Antonio, TX August 6-9, 2015 Summer Nationals: SPIRE Institute, Ohio Hosts for 2016 will be solicited and awarded next year. Jeff Roddin USMS Championship Committee Chair
  • When will the decision be made to run the meet indoors or outdoors? Good question! San Antonio can be VERY hot and humid in spring; I know, because I lived there for four years. And, I know for you, it's racing backstroke outdoors; something I'm not looking forward to during the backstroke leg of my 400 IM, at Mission Viejo!
  • When will the decision be made to run the meet indoors or outdoors? The day after you enter all of the backstroke events... ;) Just kidding. I expect the outdoor pool (the one that just opened a week or two ago) to be the primary course. Most likely the indoor pool would only be used for contingency purposes. Since the courses would not be deemed equivalent, it could be possible to have men and women swim separately. That is, we don't want the situation to have one heat of a men's age group swimming one event outdoors while another heat of this same age group swimming the same event indoors. I like the flexibility of this complex since we have no idea how many swimmers will enter until the entry deadline. If the meet is "normal" size we can have tons of warm up space. If the meet is huge, we can make use of the extra capacity to keep the session timelines reasonable. Jeff
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 11 years ago
    Jeff, thanks for the information. If the meet is going to be outdoors, I will pass.
  • yea, an outdoor scy meet would be a lot less appealing.
  • Actually, Britt is a real good backstroker, based on her times. But, I will still pass on an outdoor meet. Sure; she's great at EVERYTHING she swims. But, have you seen her breaststroke? :bow:
  • Sure; she's great at EVERYTHING she swims. But, have you seen her breaststroke? :bow: then you haven't seen my backstroke yet :bolt: swimming for suntan U for 3 years teaches you how to swim backstroke straight with your eyes closed.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 11 years ago
    That's because you aren't a backstroker like Wookiee! Actually, Britt is a real good backstroker, based on her times. But, I will still pass on an outdoor meet.
  • if the meet is outdoors - sign me up! so much more fun swimming outdoors than indoors! That's because you aren't a backstroker like Wookiee! I also like outdoor meets even though I am a backstroker. Heck, if you know how to swim straight then it give you an advantage over those other wusses. For me one of the main joys of being a backstroker is when you get to swim outdoors, it is the only stroke that allows you to really appreciate being outside.
  • I also like outdoor meets even though I am a backstroker. Heck, if you know how to swim straight then it give you an advantage over those other wusses. For me one of the main joys of being a backstroker is when you get to swim outdoors, it is the only stroke that allows you to really appreciate being outside. The only way I can swim backstroke outside is watching and concentrating on my arms, rather than focusing on anything beyond them (or closing my eyes). I have Meniere's, an inner ear disorder. So, if there are no clouds or anything to focus on, I get dizzy and start feeling seasick. (Meniere's is also the reason I can no longer do flip turns without getting seasick!).
  • OK this is WAY TOOO early, where is 2016 ?? Do they have that listed yet?