New USMS Team for William & Mary Alumni

We are pleased to announce the creation of a new Masters swim team, open to all W&M Swimming Alumni and friends of W&M Swimming. The team is called Club Tribe Alumni, and is registered with U.S. Masters Swimming. There is no charge to join the team, no age or skill parameters, and no other requirements – anyone who loves W&M swimming is welcome to join. Our vision for Club Tribe Alumni is that it will provide a way for W&M Swimming alumni to stay connected, fly the W&M flag at Masters swim meets, and participate on relays as a team. We first got the idea for Club Tribe Alumni when we realized that there were a number of former W&M swimmers competing “Unattached” (and semi-attached) at last year’s Colonies Zone Championships at George Mason and at the U.S. Masters National Championships in Santa Clara, CA. Even this past weekend in Manassas, a few of us competed without realizing that there were other fellow Tribe alums swimming in the meet. How Do I Join Club Tribe Alumni? Any current US Masters swimmer can join Club Tribe Alumni at the time they renew their individual registration by selecting Club Tribe Alumni as their designated team. Those new to US Masters swimming need to first register individually (click here to register – USMS charges $37). Simply register as a US Masters swimmer and select Club Tribe Alumni as your team. You will be automatically added to our team e-mail list. We will have t-shirts and swim caps available (at cost) commemorating the inaugural season of Club Tribe Alumni for anyone who is interested. For the many triathletes out there, a U.S. Masters Swimming registration enjoys reciprocity with USA Triathlon. Where is the Team Located? What if I don’t live in Virginia? Club Tribe Alumni is located everywhere W&M alums are located. Our spiritual home is William & Mary, but the team is open to all alumni, regardless of residence. Club Tribe Alumni can be found on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ClubTribeAlumni. When and Where are the Swim Meets? As a member of Club Tribe Alumni, you can swim any U.S. Masters meet, whether you are alone or joined by other Club Tribe Alumni swimmers. We will use the Club Tribe Alumni Facebook page to make team members aware of great swim meet opportunities. There are already Club Tribe Alumni swimmers registered for meets in Annapolis, MD (1/18) and Alexandria, VA (1/25), and planning to attend meets in Richmond, VA (2/7 & 2/8), Fairfax, VA (4/10-12) and the 2015 USMS National Championships (SCY) in San Antonio, TX (4/23-26). But I Haven’t Been Near a Pool in Ages . . . It really, truly doesn’t matter. U.S. Masters Swimming promotes adult fitness in an inclusive environment. At Masters meets and on the Club Tribe Alumni team, you will find nothing but support, encouragement, and people swimming just for the fun of it! If you have any questions, please visit the Club Tribe Alumni Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/ClubTribeAlumni or e-mail us at clubtribealumni@gmail.com. For additional information regarding US Masters Swimming, visit http://www.usms.org. Club Tribe Alumni Founding Members Kyle Ahlgren '97 Shannon Sullivan ‘98 Kristen Harris (Schnittger) '98 Rich Williams ‘98
Parents
  • An update for any W&M alums and friends of W&M Swimming who are considering joining Club Tribe Alumni (1693): 1. In less than three months, we've grown to 15 members, ranging from the Class of 1980 to the Class of 2013, spanning the country from California to D.C. 12 members are W&M Swimming alums, 3 members are friends-of-the-Tribe. Many of us are meeting each other for the first time (this isn't a team centered around a social circle -- this is a team for all W&M alums). 2. We've met and communicated with many others who are interested, and we expect to continue to grow organically. The William & Mary diaspora always surprises me -- we're sort of everywhere! Lots of folks are understandably happy with their current teams, and that's great. From others, I get the sense that they are waiting to see whether this team is going to be viable and have staying power. On that score, I can assure you that we're here and we're in it for the long haul. 3. Our "A" relay WON the Coconut Relay at this year's Alexandria Tropical Splash. It's impossible to overstate the magnitude of that accomplishment ; ) 4. We will have a large group swimming at the Colonies Zone meet in Fairfax, VA April 10-12. This is an extremely well-run meet at a premier facility offering all relays in both single-gender and mixed formats. It's an ideal opportunity to join the team, swim some Tribe relays, and get to know us. 5. We have schwag!! Team t-shirts, caps, suits, you name it. Bottom line: if you are a W&M alum and you're wondering if this is really going to be a thing, it is. If you're wondering whether you'd really be welcome on Club Tribe, the answer is yes. GOOOOOO, TRIBE, Go!
  • An update for any W&M alums and friends of W&M Swimming who are considering joining Club Tribe Alumni (1693): 1. In less than three months, we've grown to 15 members, ranging from the Class of 1980 to the Class of 2013, spanning the country from California to D.C. 12 members are W&M Swimming alums, 3 members are friends-of-the-Tribe. Many of us are meeting each other for the first time (this isn't a team centered around a social circle -- this is a team for all W&M alums). 2. We've met and communicated with many others who are interested, and we expect to continue to grow organically. The William & Mary diaspora always surprises me -- we're sort of everywhere! Lots of folks are understandably happy with their current teams, and that's great. From others, I get the sense that they are waiting to see whether this team is going to be viable and have staying power. On that score, I can assure you that we're here and we're in it for the long haul. 3. Our "A" relay WON the Coconut Relay at this year's Alexandria Tropical Splash. It's impossible to overstate the magnitude of that accomplishment ; ) 4. We will have a large group swimming at the Colonies Zone meet in Fairfax, VA April 10-12. This is an extremely well-run meet at a premier facility offering all relays in both single-gender and mixed formats. It's an ideal opportunity to join the team, swim some Tribe relays, and get to know us. 5. We have schwag!! Team t-shirts, caps, suits, you name it. Bottom line: if you are a W&M alum and you're wondering if this is really going to be a thing, it is. If you're wondering whether you'd really be welcome on Club Tribe, the answer is yes. GOOOOOO, TRIBE, Go!
Children
No Data