Big Shoulders swim in Chicago

Many on our team - Elgin Blue Wave - are in this race. Hope for good weather and mild water temps for all!
Parents
  • It certainly would be courteous to have a back up plan. I don't see many race directors doing that. Not sure if they don't want to bother, greed, or logistics. Agreed. I'm sure it would be logistically challenging to have two different race locations both worked out to handle a large event. I know the race filled up quickly and I would think that is also not very conducive to a true national championship. I know at least one guy who would be top 3 overall that wanted in. That's another good point. How to fairly allow everyone to compete who wants to? I know that most (all?) races have to put a cap on number of entrants for safety reasons or due to restrictions set forth by the venue (i.e. sometimes races take place in national forest or parks that have a strict limit for number of participants). I'm not sure of a way around that other than to choose a venue where the participant limit is high? But it would still likely sell out at some point. Most people probably believe that since the time that registration opens is made public well before it opens, that everyone has equal opportunity to register so it is as "fair" of a system as they can provide. In the case where a race is popular and I expect it to sell out, I make sure I am online when the registration opens so that I can be sure to get in. But it is unfortunate, perhaps even unfair, for those who are unable or unavailable to register right when registration opens. Any suggestions as to how to improve this?
  • It certainly would be courteous to have a back up plan. I don't see many race directors doing that. Not sure if they don't want to bother, greed, or logistics. Agreed. I'm sure it would be logistically challenging to have two different race locations both worked out to handle a large event. I know the race filled up quickly and I would think that is also not very conducive to a true national championship. I know at least one guy who would be top 3 overall that wanted in. That's another good point. How to fairly allow everyone to compete who wants to? I know that most (all?) races have to put a cap on number of entrants for safety reasons or due to restrictions set forth by the venue (i.e. sometimes races take place in national forest or parks that have a strict limit for number of participants). I'm not sure of a way around that other than to choose a venue where the participant limit is high? But it would still likely sell out at some point. Most people probably believe that since the time that registration opens is made public well before it opens, that everyone has equal opportunity to register so it is as "fair" of a system as they can provide. In the case where a race is popular and I expect it to sell out, I make sure I am online when the registration opens so that I can be sure to get in. But it is unfortunate, perhaps even unfair, for those who are unable or unavailable to register right when registration opens. Any suggestions as to how to improve this?
Children
No Data