Any Rule changes for 2007?

Former Member
Former Member
I just heard about a new backstroke turn rule change in USS, I was trying to see if there were any USMS rules changes this year. Thanks for any help in advance, jack
  • See www.usms.org/.../rules-2006-9-16-5.pdf for the USMS rule changes for 2007. USMS also adopted the USA Swimming rule changes, ratified at this year’s convention, for individual strokes, including the backstroke turn.
  • I'm not aware of any backstroke turn changes from the 2006 USMS or USA Swimming Convention. However, at the 2005 Convention, a USA Swimming rule change for the backstroke turn was adopted by USMS, which amounted to deleting one sentence from 101.4.3—Turns: "Once the body has left the position on the back, any kick or arm pull must be part of the continuous turning action." So the rule now reads: Upon completion of each length, some part of the swimmer must touch the wall. During the turn the shoulders may be turned past the vertical toward the ***, after which a continuous single arm pull or a continuous simultaneous double arm pull may be used to execute the turn. The swimmer must have returned to a position on the back upon leaving the wall. Note: The swimmer who turns past vertical and, in a continuous motion, grabs the wall before pushing off with the feet while on the back is considered to have executed a “continuous turning action.” This has not resulted in any new interpretation of the backstroke turn rule. You still need a continuous turning action, but there is no emphasis on the kick or arm pull being part of that. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have looked at the 2006 USA Swimming Rules changes and find nothing new with regard to backstroke turns. Mary Pohlmann Ozark Stroke and Turn Judge
  • USA Swimming (formerly USS) did not make any rule changes in the backstroke this year and neither did USMS. Kathy Casey, Chair USMS Rules Committee